On Monday’s post, I asked everyone to tell me about their favorite recipe using strawberries. I’ve read through all of the responses so far and am dreaming about all of the strawberry recipes I need to make now. I’m glad that the general consensus is that everyone loves berries! Today, I am sharing something a little different. Strawberries and Cream Cookie Bars use dried strawberries and white chocolate chips to create a tasty bar that everyone will love.
I’m going to be honest. I prefer fresh organic strawberries and recommend using them whenever possible. But, if it is not possible to use fresh strawberries, such as when you want to ship a delectable treat to your friends or family, then dried strawberries are a good substitute to achieve the strawberry flavor. I find the dried berries in the bulk section of my grocery store. They certainly aren’t as healthy as fresh strawberries because they contain added sugar, but they work well in cookie bars. It’s not like these cookie bars are healthy anyway 😉
Cookie bars are addicting so it’s best to pass some along to your friends or neighbors before you eat the entire batch!
For the May Leftovers Club I was matched up with Elizabeth from Food Ramblings. The idea of the club is to bake something that others with love and pass on your leftovers. This is my second month participating in the club and I love that I get the opportunity to meet new bloggers. The club is always looking for more bloggers, so head over and sign up if you are interested in receiving fun treats.
Oh, and make sure to head over to Food Ramblings and check out all of the fabulous recipes that Elizabeth has to share.
See what the other Leftover Club bloggers are up to this month:
- 8 tablespoons (1 stick) unsalted butter, softened
- 1/2 cup sugar
- 1/2 cup light brown sugar, packed
- 1 egg
- 1/2 teaspoon pure vanilla extract
- 1 1/2 cups all-purpose flour
- 1/2 teaspoon baking soda
- 1/2 teaspoon salt
- 1 cup dried strawberries
- 1 cup white chocolate chips
- Preheat oven to 350 degrees F. Line a 8 x 8 inch baking pan with parchment paper.
- In the bowl of an electric mixer fitted with a paddle attachment, cream butter and sugars until light and fluffy. Add egg and vanilla, mixing until combined. Add flour, baking soda, salt, dried strawberries and white chocolate chips. Mix until combined. Transfer dough to prepared baking pan, pressing evenly. Bake for 25 to 30 minutes, until golden brown and baked through. Let cool completely then cut into squares and serve.
Source: adapted from Picky Palate