This pie recipe is made with only six ingredients, including sweetened condensed milk to make a smooth and creamy filling. Bake in a homemade graham cracker crust to create this easy key lime pie that is zesty and delicious!
You can’t go wrong with homemade pie! Haley here from If You Give a Blonde a Kitchen. This classic pie is a refreshing dessert to make for friends and family. It’s made with only six ingredients and no eggs.
Fresh lime juice is the key to the best pie. Yes, it requires a little extra work, but fresh lime juice creates the best flavor.
What is the difference between a lime and a key lime?
Key limes contain more concentrated aromatic juices, which gives the pie more flavor. They are also more yellow and smaller than regular limes.
Because key limes are small, this recipe calls for a lot of them. I use around 50 key limes to make 3/4 fresh squeezed juice. Use a citrus squeezer to make the process quick and easy. You can use regular limes in place of key limes but it won’t taste like an authentic key lime pie. Substitute the same amount juice for regular time juice.
The classic recipe includes a homemade graham cracker pie crust! The buttery sweetness and crunchy texture compliments the citrus filling perfectly. The pie crust only requires three ingredients (graham crackers, sugar and melted butter) with the remaining three ingredients for the pie filling (condensed milk, sour cream, limes).
Tips for making
- This pie should be refrigerated. Keep it for up to 3 days in the refrigerator. Cover loosely with aluminum foil or plastic wrap.
- Use a store-bought graham cracker pie crust to save time.
- Try to use key limes for authentic color and flavor. Fresh limes are preferred but you can use store bought lime juice if needed.
- This recipe does not use eggs. The recipe sets by baking and then chilling in the refrigerator for at least 4 hours. Do not skip the chilling.
- Serve the pie with whipped cream or meringue.
- Garnish with additional lime zest for more color and flavor.
Other classic pie recipes
Pie is a classic dessert that works well any time of the year. A few ingredients create a rich dessert packed with lots of flavor. Impress your friends and family with this easy dessert that everyone loves.
Try it and let us know what you think!
Easy Key Lime Pie
For the Graham Cracker Crust:
- 1 1/2 cups (127 g or 7 graham crackers) finely ground graham cracker crumbs
- 1/3 cup white sugar
- 6 tablespoons butter, melted
For the Pie:
- 2 1/2 cups sweetened condensed milk, (about two 14 ounce cans)
- 3/4 cup sour cream
- 3/4 cup key lime juice¹
- 1 tablespoon grated lime zest
- Whipped cream for garnish, (optional)
To make the Graham Cracker Crust:
- In a medium bowl, stir together graham cracker crumbs, sugar and melted butter until well combined. Press mixture into a 9-inch pie plate. Bake at 375° F for 7 minutes. Cool completely.
To make the Pie:
- Preheat oven to 350°F.
- In a medium bowl, combine condensed milk, sour cream, lime juice and zest. Mix well and pour into baked graham cracker crust. Tap pie plate gently on the counter to release any air bubbles.
- Bake in preheated oven for 5 to 8 minutes, until the filling is set and barely jiggles. Do not brown. Allow pie to cool to room temperature. Chill pie thoroughly (at least 4 hours) before serving. Garnish with lime slices or zest and whipped cream if desired.
- For the best flavor, juice your own key limes or buy a bottle of key lime juice from the store. It is usually located with the regular lime juice and lemon juice. The Nellie & Joe’s key lime juice brand is the one I like.
- Keep it for up to 3 days in the refrigerator. Cover loosely with aluminum foil or plastic wrap.
Recipe originally published June 2017, updated July 2020.