Avocado Tartines are a fresh and delicious option for appetizer, lunch or snack! A few simple ingredients create a delicious meal.
When avocados are in season, I eat them almost everyday. I slice them up and add them to a salad, or make fresh guacamole. I don’t think I will ever get tired of eating too many avocados, but lately I’ve been looking for a different way to use them.
These avocado tartines are perfect. The crunch of the ciabatta bread complements the rich, creamy texture of the avocado mixture. The tartines are great for a light lunch, snack or even an appetizer. I used ciabatta bread, but any crispy bread will work well. I also had some leftover pepper-oil, which I stored in a sealed container in the fridge and made these tartines for lunch again later in the week.
- ¼ cup olive oil
- ¼ teaspoon crushed red pepper flakes
- 2 cloves garlic minced
- ½ loaf ciabatta sliced thin on the bias
- 2 ripe avocados
- 1 tablespoon fresh lime juice
- dash of salt
- dash of freshly ground black pepper
- In a small skillet, heat the olive oil, red pepper flakes, and garlic over medium-high heat for about 3 minutes, or until the red pepper flakes and garlic start sizzling. Turn the heat to medium-low and cook for an additional 5 minutes, being careful not to burn the garlic. Remove from the heat and pour the oil through a mesh sieve into a small bowl. Discard the garlic and red pepper flakes and set the oil aside.
- Brush both sides of the bread slices lightly with olive oil. Toast until the bread is just golden brown.
- While the bread is toasting, slice avocados in half, remove pits, and scoop avocado flesh into a medium mixing bowl. Add the lime juice, salt and pepper. Mash the avocado mixture with a fork, leaving some chunks, if desired. Stir in 2 tsp. of the red pepper-oil.
- Divide the mashed avocado between the toasted bread slices and drizzle with a little extra red pepper-oil. Sprinkle with additional red pepper flakes and serve.
Nutrition InformationCalories: 412, Fat: 28g, Saturated Fat: 4g, Sodium: 285mg, Potassium: 487mg, Carbohydrates: 35g, Fiber: 7g, Protein: 6g, Vitamin A: 3.7%, Vitamin C: 14.1%, Calcium: 1.5%, Iron: 3.5%
*Nutritional information is an estimate. Please consult a doctor or nutritionist for the most accurate nutritional info.