Thank you to organic girl for sponsoring this post!
Baked Pumpkin Macaroni and Cheese with Greens is a great way to enjoy your favorite comfort food with mixed greens. Baked until golden and delicious!
September, October, and November are the three months of pumpkin madness. You know, the months of the year where anything and everything is pumpkin. I’ll admit that I don’t jump on the pumpkin bandwagon as soon as September 1st arrives because I love to savor any last flavor of summer, but I do love adding pumpkin to my diet in unique and flavorful ways.
Baked Pumpkin Macaroni and Cheese with Greens is a great way to add more leafy greens to your diet, experience the flavors of fall but still enjoy everything that you love about your favorite comfort food. Macaroni and cheese is perfect because it can be enjoyed as a complete meal or even as a side dish.
For this recipe I use one of my favorite salad blends, PEPPERGREENS by organicgirl. I have used organicgirl greens and salad blends for many years. I love that they combine all of my favorite seasonal greens in one salad mix. The PEPPERGREENS mix is a new blend that you will love. It includes a mix of arugula, baby green mustard, baby red mustard, cress, baby spinach, baby green bok choy, baby green chard, baby red chard, baby red bok choy, mizuna, and koomatsuna, depending on the season.
I use fontina cheese for this recipe because it melts well and compliments the pumpkin flavor. The addition of the Parmesan breadcrumbs adds texture thanks to the crisp topping.
Add this macaroni and cheese recipe to your menu this fall. Kids and adults will love the creamy, cheesy pumpkin flavor mixed with fresh greens!
Baked Pumpkin Macaroni and Cheese with Greens
- 1 pound dried pasta
- 2 tablespoons butter
- 2 tablespoons all-purpose flour
- ½ teaspoon salt
- ½ teaspoon freshly ground black pepper
- 1 cup heavy whipping cream
- 1 cup whole milk
- 1¾ cup pumpkin puree or a 15oz can
- 5 ounces Fontina cheese shredded
- 3 ounces organicgirl PEPPERGREENS
- ½ cup soft bread crumbs
- ½ cup grated Parmesan cheese
- Preheat oven to 350 degrees Fahrenheit. Cook the pasta according to package instructions. Drain and return to the pot.
- In a medium pan, melt the butter over low heat. Whisk in the flour, salt, pepper. Add the cream and milk, whisking constantly. Increase the heat to medium and stir until the sauce begins to thicken and bubble around the edges.
- Add the pumpkin and cheese to the cream sauce. Whisk to blend. Add pasta to sauce and stir until well coated. Stir in greens. Transfer pasta mixture to a 9 x 9 inch (1.5 quart) baking dish.
- In a small bowl, combine the breadcrumbs and Parmesan cheese; sprinkle over pasta. Bake uncovered for 30 minutes or until the breadcrumbs are golden brown and cheese is bubbly. Let stand 10 minutes before serving.
Nutrition InformationCalories: 1012, Fat: 47g, Saturated Fat: 28g, Cholesterol: 154mg, Sodium: 980mg, Potassium: 700mg, Carbohydrates: 112g, Fiber: 7g, Sugar: 11g, Protein: 35g, Vitamin A: 370.1%, Vitamin C: 11.9%, Calcium: 52%, Iron: 22.9%
*Nutritional information is an estimate. Please consult a doctor or nutritionist for the most accurate nutritional info.
Add greens to every meal with these other delicious recipes!
This post is sponsored by organicgirl. As always, all opinions are my own.