A new year means new recipes. I already have many delectable recipes lined up to share with you this year. But first I wanted to share one of my favorite ways to kick-start the new year and help you stay on track. Banana Coconut Crunch Steel Cut Oatmeal combines classic flavors to create a unique meal that the entire family will love.
Steel Cut Oatmeal is the perfect way to start the day. Using ingredients that are good for you, this oatmeal is a new twist on a classic dish. Packed with flavor, you will want to make this oatmeal day after day. I sometimes like to have it for dinner because it is filling and delicious. I also love saving the leftovers and reheating them during the week. Just add a little milk when reheating and you have a quick and easy meal.
What are some of your favorite ingredients to mix into steel cut oats? Personally, I love something fresh like a banana and something crunchy like almonds. I add coconut flakes for additional flavor and because I love adding coconut flakes to everything.
Banana Coconut Crunch Oatmeal
- 1 tablespoon butter
- 1 cup steel cut oatmeal
- 1 teaspoon cinnamon
- pinch of nutmeg
- 1/4 teaspoon kosher salt
- 2 cups hot water
- 2 cups milk*
- 1 ripe banana, mashed
- 2 tablespoons pure maple syrup
- sliced almonds and coconut for topping
- In a medium saucepan over medium heat, heat butter until melted. Add steel cut oats and stir for 2 minutes to toast.
- Stir in cinnamon, nutmeg and salt.
- Add hot water and milk and stir, bringing to a boil. Cover and turn heat down to low; cook oats for 20 minutes.
- Remove lid and stir in mashed banana and maple syrup. Continue cooking, uncovered for 15 minutes, or until oats thicken to your desired texture.
- Serve immediately and top with almonds, bananas and coconut, as desired.