Enjoy these delicious BBQ Boneless Chicken Thighs any time of the year. Cook them on the grill or in the oven in less than 30 minutes!
Chicken thighs are a great option for dinner. They are juicy, tender and full of flavor. They cook quickly and easily to enjoy any day of the week.
Using an easy marinade elevates the flavor and creates a delicious dinner. Try this easy recipe for BBQ chicken thighs and you’ll enjoy a flavorful meal.
You can make this chicken thigh recipe on an outdoor or indoor grill or baked in the oven.
Why You’ll Love This Recipe
- Using chicken thighs for bbq chicken results in the most tender flavorful chicken.
- These grilled chicken thighs taste great with any side dish.
- Barbecue chicken thighs cook quickly and easily.
- This recipe is naturally gluten free and dairy free.
Ingredients You Need
You will need a few ingredients for the marinade along with the chicken thighs.
- Boneless Skinless Chicken Thighs: If you substitute with chicken breasts, they will not be as juicy or flavorful as chicken thighs as chicken breasts dry out easily. You can use skin-on chicken thighs, if you prefer.
- Extra Virgin Olive Oil: You can substitute with avocado oil, if desired.
- BBQ Sauce: Use pre-made bbq sauce or make your own homemade sauce using the ingredients below.
- Garlic: Use freshly minced garlic for the best flavor.
- Worcestershire Sauce: You can omit, if needed, but it adds a delicious tangy bbq flavor.
- Spices: You will need paprika, kosher salt and black pepper.
BBQ Sauce Ingredients
Making homemade barbecue sauce is optional for this recipe (you can use store-bought), but it easily comes together with the following ingredients.
- Brown Sugar
- Apple Cider Vinegar
- Dry Mustard
- Worcestershire Sauce
- Kosher Salt and Ground Black Pepper
To make the bbq sauce, whisk together all of the ingredients in a medium saucepan set over medium high heat. Allow the mixture to bubble, then reduce the heat to low and simmer for 8 to 10 minutes, or until thickened. Allow the sauce to cool slightly then store in an airtight container in the refrigerator for up to a week.
How to Make Grilled BBQ Boneless Chicken Thighs
You can cook these grilled bbq chicken thighs on an outdoor or indoor grill.
- Prepare the marinade: In a large bowl or plastic zipped top bag, combine all of the marinade ingredients. Seal the bag and shake to mix, or stir together all of the ingredients in the bowl.
- Add the chicken: Add the chicken thighs and allow them to marinate at least 30 minutes or up to 4 hours in the refrigerator.
- Prepare the grill: Preheat a grill to medium-heat, brushing the grates with oil beforehand.
- Grill the chicken: Place the chicken thighs on the grates and grill for 4 to 5 minutes. Flip the chicken and brush it generously with BBQ sauce. Grill for 4 to 5 minutes, then flip and brush with more sauce. Continue to flip and brush every minute until the chicken is cooked through and registers 170 to 175 degrees Fahrenheit at the thickest part when tested with an instant read thermometer.
- Let the chicken rest: Transfer the grilled boneless chicken to a cutting board or large serving plate. Tent it with foil and allow it to rest for 5 minutes before serving.
BBQ Chicken Thighs in the Oven
To bake the chicken thighs in the oven, preheat the oven to 350 degrees Fahrenheit. Place the marinated chicken thighs in a single layer on a rimmed baking sheet lined with aluminum foil.
Bake 20 minutes then baste with barbecue sauce. Continue baking until the chicken is cooked through (170 degres Fahrenheit), about 40 minutes, basting with sauce as desired.
- Double or triple the recipe to serve more! You can easily make this recipe for a larger crowd.
- Marinate overnight – The longer you marinate, the better the flavor once cooked. You can prep the marinade and marinate overnight. Once marinated, allow the chicken to rest for 15 minutes before grilling.
- Don’t forget to brush the chicken with bbq sauce while cooking. This adds even more flavor.
- Allow the grilled chicken thighs to rest for 5 minutes before serving.
Store leftover chicken thighs in a sealed container in the fridge for up to 3 days.
Serve the barbecue chicken with any side dish. Below are a few of our favorite barbecue side dishes.
- Grilled Asparagus
- Grilled Peppers and Onions
- Mexican Corn on the Cob
- Strawberry and Cucumber Salad
- Roasted Zucchini and Squash
- Baked Crispy Sweet Potato Fries
- Roasted Green Beans and Potatoes
Chicken thighs should be cooked until an internal temperature reaches 170 to 175 degrees Fahrenheit (77-79 degrees celsius.) Use an internal meat thermometer inserted into the thickest part of the meat to check the temperature.
Cook time will vary based on temperature and cooking method. If you bake the chicken thighs in the oven, you should roast them for 40 to 50 minutes at 350 degrees Fahrenheit. Or 25 to 30 minutes baked at 425 degrees Fahrenheit.
If you cook chicken thighs on a grill, they should be grilled for approximately 6 to 7 minutes per side at medium-high heat (between 400 to 450 degrees F), or until the thickest part of the thighs reads 170-175 degrees Fahrenheit on an instant read thermometer.
Did you try this BBQ Boneless Chicken Thighs recipe? Leave a recipe rating and review below.
BBQ Boneless Chicken Thighs
- 2 pounds boneless chicken thighs
- 3 tablespoons extra virgin olive oil
- 1/4 cup BBQ sauce
- 2 cloves garlic, minced
- 1/2 tablespoon Worcestershire sauce
- 1 teaspoon paprika
- 1/2 teaspoon kosher salt
- 1/2 teaspoon ground black pepper
- Combine all marinade ingredients in a plastic zipper bag. Seal and shake to mix. Alternatively, you can combine the ingredients in a bowl.
- Add the chicken thighs and allow to marinate at least 30 minutes or up to 4 hours in the refrigerator.
- When ready to grill, remove the chicken from the marinade, allowing the excess to drip off.
- Preheat a grill to medium-high heat, brushing the grates with oil beforehand. Place the chicken thighs on the grates and grill for 4 to 5 minutes.
- Flip the chicken and brush it generously with BBQ sauce. Grill for 4 to 5 minutes, then flip and brush with more sauce. Continue to flip and brush every minute until the chicken registers 170 to 175 degrees Fahrenheit at the thickest part when tested with an instant read thermometer.
- Transfer the chicken to a cutting board or large serving plate. Tent it with foil and allow it to rest for 5 minutes before serving.