BBQ Chicken Pizza is an easy pizza that you can make at home! This one is inspired by our favorite California Pizza Kitchen barbecue chicken pizza with fresh toppings that requires less than 15 minutes of prep.
Homemade pizza is the best! It’s so easy to make so it’s a great choice for weeknights or any time you’re craving pizza. This recipe is one of our favorite types of pizza because it’s loaded with fresh bbq sauce, chicken veggies and pineapple. Yes, that’s right. We add pineapple to this pizza!
The best thing about pizza is that you can combine any of your favorite toppings to make new flavors each time. This pizza uses barbecue sauce instead of traditional red sauce with a few fresh toppings.
BBQ Chicken Pizza Toppings
- Barbecue Sauce – Use your favorite sauce. Stubb’s original bbq sauce is my personal favorite.
- Cooked Chicken Breast – We love using rotisserie chicken. Chop the chicken into bite sized pieces.
- Mozzarella Cheese – Either freshly shredded or sliced. You can also use a mix of mozzarella and gouda cheese to give the pizza a slightly smoky flavor.
- Pineapple – We love adding pineapple to pizza but if you can leave it off, if desired.
- Red Onion
- Optional: Diced Jalapeños
How to make BBQ Chicken Pizza
Use store-bought or homemade pizza dough. Roll the dough into a 12 to 14 inch round. Spread the sauce on the pizza and layer with the other toppings. Bake at 450 degrees F for 10 to 12 minutes. Garnish with the cilantro.
For really thin crust, use about half of a standard size ball of pizza dough. Feel free to adapt the toppings depending on your taste preferences. If you prefer to leave off the pineapple, that’s perfectly fine. The type of bbq sauce and cheese you use will influence the flavor of the pizza. Try a sweeter bbq sauce for a sweeter flavor or use some gouda cheese for a smoky flavor. Try a different combination every single time!
If you love pizza, also try our Taco Pizza. It’s loaded up with all of your favorite taco toppings and is the perfect addition to pizza night. Once you make our favorite pizzas, you will want to add them to your regular pizza night rotation.
Try it and let us know what you think!
BBQ Chicken Pizza
- 1 ball pizza dough
- 2/3 cup barbeque sauce
- 1 cooked chicken breast, chopped into bite-sized pieces (about 1 cup)
- 5 ounce mozzarella cheese, sliced or shredded
- 1 cup diced pineapple
- 1/3 cup thinly sliced red onion
- ¼ cup fresh cilantro, chopped
- Heat the oven to 450 degrees and preheat a pizza stone.
- Roll the pizza dough into a 12 to 14 inch round. Spread half of the barbeque sauce in a thin layer on to the dough. Layer the chicken and mozzarella cheese over the barbeque sauce covering the entire pizza. Top with pineapple and red onion. Bake until the cheese is melted and bubbling and the crust is lightly browned, about 10 to 12 minutes. Remove from the oven and cool slightly. Garnish with cilantro just before serving.
- Note about pizza dough: I like my pizza crust very thin. I generally use half of a standard size ball of pizza dough.
- Store leftovers in the refrigerator for up to 3 days.