Blueberry Breakfast Cake is a great way to start the day! Made with fresh blueberries and lemons to create a tasty treat for kids and adults.
I was going to wait until our blueberries were ripe to make this blueberry breakfast cake but I picked up fresh blueberries at the store and had some buttermilk I needed to use up. The texture is similar to a coffee cake, not too dense but certainly filling. I love the combination of the blueberries and lemon. The lemon zest really enhances the flavor of the cake.
I’ve been trying to make something different for breakfast more often. I really love breakfast foods. Even on the weekends, I’m usually up and heading out the door early in the morning. I just grab something quick, like fruit or toast with peanut butter, rather than cook a full breakfast. When I do cook, I tend to bake something since the leftovers usually last a few days. I can also get some things done around the house while it’s baking. This blueberry breakfast cake is easy to prepare and a change from my usual coffee cake.
The recent tropical storm brought rain yesterday so our blueberry bushes received some much needed watering. They’re not quite ripe yet but should be very soon. The bushes still aren’t that big since we only planted them two years ago. We should have at least a few pints of blueberries this year.
I’ve been taking full advantage of all our berry plants since this is the first year that we have strawberries, blueberries and blackberries. The strawberry plants are done producing, and although I’m sad to see our strawberries done for the season, the blueberries will be ready soon. We also have a blackberry bush that has a few ripe berries. I tried some and they are very delicious.
Blueberry Breakfast Cake
- 2 cups fresh blueberries
- 2 cups all-purpose flour
- 2 teaspoons baking powder
- 1 teaspoon kosher salt
- ½ cup unsalted butter room temperature
- 2 teaspoons lemon zest
- ¾ cup + 2 tablespoons sugar
- 1 egg
- 1 teaspoons vanilla extract
- ½ cup buttermilk
- Preheat the oven to 350 degrees. Grease a 9-inch square baking dish with butter.
- In a small bowl, toss the blueberries with ¼ cup of flour; set aside. Whisk together the remaining flour, baking powder and salt in a medium bowl and set aside.
- In the bowl of an electric mixer fitted with the paddle attachment, cream the butter, lemon zest and ¾ cup plus one tablespoon of the sugar together until light and fluffy. Add the egg and vanilla and beat until combined.
- Add the flour mixture to the batter a little at a time, alternating with the buttermilk. Fold in the blueberries.
- Spread batter into greased baking dish and sprinkle batter with remaining tablespoon of sugar. Bake for 35-45 minutes, or until top is slightly golden brown and a toothpick inserted into the center comes out clean. Allow to cool for 10-15 minutes before serving.
Nutrition InformationCalories: 256, Fat: 12g, Saturated Fat: 7g, Cholesterol: 52mg, Sodium: 317mg, Potassium: 190mg, Carbohydrates: 30g, Fiber: 1g, Sugar: 4g, Protein: 4g, Vitamin A: 8.6%, Vitamin C: 5.1%, Calcium: 7.4%, Iron: 9.6%
*Nutritional information is an estimate. Please consult a doctor or nutritionist for the most accurate nutritional info.