Brownie Caramel Swirl Ice Cream is made with creamy vanilla ice cream, chewy dense brownies and homemade caramel swirl!
It is hot! Last night I really started noticing how hot it was when I looked at the temperature and it was still 90 degrees outside at 8 p.m. Today it was about 100 degrees. I live in Florida, not the desert, and it’s not supposed to be this warm in June already. But it’s fine, I’ll take the warmer weather any day over cold, rainy weather. It just means more opportunities to cool down with ice cream. Luckily, I always have plenty of frozen treats in the freezer.
I’ve already posted about these brownies and they work perfectly as a mix-in for ice cream. They are chewy, dense and freeze well. Just crumble or cut the brownies into bite-sized pieces and mix in. If you just happen to eat the entire batch of brownies before making the ice cream, there is nothing wrong with that, just make another batch. You won’t be the only one.
I tried a few different caramel swirl recipes and I liked this one the best. It is relatively easy to make and works well with ice cream. If you don’t want to use the entire batch as a mix-in, save it to use as a topping.
Brownie Caramel Swirl Ice Cream
For the ice cream:
- 2 cups heavy cream
- 1 cup whole milk
- ¾ cup sugar
- pinch of salt
- 1 vanilla bean split in half lengthwise
- 1 teaspoon vanilla extract
For the caramel swirl:
- ½ cup sugar
- 1/3 cup light corn syrup
- ¼ cup water
- pinch of salt
- 7 tablespoons heavy cream
- ½ teaspoons vanilla extract
- 2 cups crumbled brownies
- To make the ice cream, combine 1 cup heavy cream, sugar and salt in a medium saucepan. Scrape the seeds from the vanilla bean into the saucepan and add the pod to the pot. Warm over medium heat, stirring, until the sugar is dissolved. Remove from the heat and add the remaining 1 cup cream, milk, and vanilla extract. Chill the mixture thoroughly in the refrigerator.
- To make the caramel swirl, boil sugar, corn syrup, water and salt in a medium saucepan over medium heat. Stir until sugar is dissolved. Continue boiling, and without stirring, gently swirling the pan, until mixture is a deep golden caramel color. Remove pan from heat and carefully pour cream and vanilla into caramel mixture (the mixture will vigorously steam and the caramel with harden). Simmer mixture, stirring, until caramel is smooth. Remove pan from heat and cool to room temperature.
- Once the ice cream mixture is chilled, remove the vanilla bean and then freeze the mixture in your ice cream maker according to the manufacturer’s instructions. Fold the pieces of brownie into the ice cream just before removing it from the ice cream maker. Layer about a third of the caramel into the bottom of a container and top with half of the ice cream. Repeat with another caramel layer and then spoon the remaining ice cream on top. Top with the remaining caramel swirl.
Nutrition InformationCalories: 7969, Fat: 347g, Saturated Fat: 164g, Cholesterol: 820mg, Sodium: 3380mg, Potassium: 757mg, Carbohydrates: 1165g, Sugar: 856g, Protein: 68g, Vitamin A: 8935%, Vitamin C: 2.9%, Calcium: 668%, Iron: 28.7%
*Nutritional information is an estimate. Please consult a doctor or nutritionist for the most accurate nutritional info.