Bruschetta with Peppers and Gorgonzola is a tasty appetizer that your dinner party guests will love. Made with bell peppers, capers, gorgonzola and a few simple seasonings.
I took last week off from blogging. Between traveling, visits from out-of town guests, and projects around the house, this summer has been incredibly busy. Back in May, I also decided to take a weekend intensive class this summer, which sounded good at the time, but ended up being more work than I anticipated. The class ended last weekend and we had family visiting with us all last week, so I decided to just take the week off from blogging. I love staying busy, but sometimes it is nice just to enjoy time with family.
Now that my class is done and things have slowed down, I am looking forward to reading the rest of the books on my summer reading list, taking a new class at my favorite yoga studio and prepping my garden for fall and winter plants. I also have plenty of fun and delicious recipes to share with you.
This weekend I decided to reorganize my bookshelf with all my cookbooks. While flipping through some of the books, I came across this bruschetta with peppers and Gorgonzola cheese. The bruschetta works well as either an appetizer or light lunch, and is the perfect way to use the peppers and basil from my garden. I love the combination of the sweet bell peppers and creamy Gorgonzola. Enjoy and have a great week!
Bruschetta with Peppers and Gorgonzola
- ¼ cup olive oil plus extra for brushing
- 2 medium red bell peppers seeded and cut into thin strips
- 2 medium yellow bell peppers seeded and cut into thin strips
- 1 teaspoon sugar
- 2 tablespoons drained capers
- ½ cup julienned fresh basil leaves
- dash salt
- dash pepper
- 1 French baguette sliced
- 4 to 5 ounces creamy Gorgonzola at room temperature
- Preheat the oven to 375 degrees F.
- Heat a large nonstick skillet over medium-high heat. Add oil to pan; swirl to coat. Add the peppers and sauté for 12 to 15 minutes, stirring occasionally until tender. Sprinkle with the sugar and sauté for an additional 2 to 3 minutes. Stir in the capers and basil. Sprinkle with salt and pepper and set aside.
- Arrange the bread slices on a baking sheet lined with parchment paper. Brush each slice lightly with olive oil and toast in the oven for 5 to 7 minutes, until lightly browned.
- Top each bread slice with a spoonful of the pepper mixture. Dot each slice with Gorgonzola. Return to the oven for 2 to 3 minutes, until the cheese is slightly melted. Serve warm.
Nutrition InformationCalories: 239, Fat: 14g, Saturated Fat: 5g, Cholesterol: 15mg, Sodium: 545mg, Potassium: 219mg, Carbohydrates: 20g, Fiber: 1g, Sugar: 2g, Protein: 7g, Vitamin A: 24.6%, Vitamin C: 112.5%, Calcium: 14.5%, Iron: 7.6%
*Nutritional information is an estimate. Please consult a doctor or nutritionist for the most accurate nutritional info.