Happiness is love and chocolate. And I can’t hide the fact that I love chocolate. You can take one look at my recipe index and see that I’m not afraid of indulging in a new chocolate dessert every now and then. I don’t even want to admit how much chocolate is available in my house at any given time. Please tell me that I’m not the only one who raids the baking supplies for chocolate chips in a desperate attempt to satisfy a chocolate craving. An emergency stash of chocolate is a necessity because I never know when I am going to have a craving for a chocolate dessert, such as these Chocolate Brownie Sandwich Cookies with Strawberry Filling.
One of the most important elements of producing an exceptional chocolate dessert is using high quality chocolate. Ghirardelli chocolate is a premium option, with baking chips and bars available at grocery and mass retail stores nationwide. I love baking with Ghirardelli baking chips because they are high quality and provide a rich and smooth texture for easy baking and melting. For these brownie sandwich cookies, I used the 60% cacao bittersweet chocolate baking chips. The bittersweet chips deliver a rich yet balanced flavor.
So, now lets talk about my favorite flavor combination. I’m pretty sure that I could subsist on chocolate and strawberries. I love creating delectable desserts using my favorite combination of flavors. A whipped soft strawberry filling is sandwiched between two chocolate brownie cookies. The light, sweet strawberry filling balances out the rich chocolate flavor.
If you are craving a rich chocolate treat then you must make a batch of these chocolate brownie sandwich cookies. With Ghirardelli’s 60% cacao baking chips, the recipe yields an impressive Valentine’s Day treat worth sharing with the entire family. Visit the Ghirardelli website for more recipes and tips.
Chocolate Brownie Sandwich Cookies with Strawberry Filling
For the chocolate cookies:
- 10 ounces Ghirardelli 60% Cacao bittersweet chocolate baking chips (1 bag)
- 4 tablespoons unsalted butter cut into 1/2 inch pieces
- 1 1/3 cup light brown sugar
- 4 eggs
- 2 teaspoon vanilla extract
- 1/2 cup all purpose flour
- 2 tablespoons dutch process cocoa powder
- 1/2 teaspoon baking powder
For the strawberry filling:
- 1/2 cup diced strawberries
- 8 tablespoons unsalted butter (1 stick) room temperature
- 4 ounces cream cheese room temperature
- pinch of salt
- 2 cups confectioners' sugar sifted
For the chocolate cookies:
- Preheat oven to 350 degrees F. Line a baking sheet with parchment paper; set aside. Melt the chocolate chips and butter in a heatproof bowl set over a pot of simmering water until smooth. Remove from heat and set aside.
- In the bowl of an electric mixer fitted with a paddle attachment, beat the sugar, eggs and vanilla until combined. Add the melted chocolate, flour, cocoa powder, and baking powder. Mix until well blended.
- Refrigerate dough for about 25 minutes, or until firm enough to scoop or form balls (the dough doesn't have to be hard, just firm enough to scoop into balls). Using a 1-1/2 tablespoon cookie scoop, scoop the dough onto lined baking sheet and bake for 11-12 minutes. Remove from oven and allow to cool on baking sheet 5 minutes before transferring to a wire rack to cool completely.
To make the strawberry filling:
Puree strawberries in a food processor. Strain through a fine mesh sieve to remove seeds; set aside. Beat the butter, cream cheese and salt in the bowl of an electric mixer until smooth and fluffy, about 5 minutes. Add powdered sugar, one cup at a time and mix until combined. Add strawberry puree and mix until smooth.
- Sandwich filling between chocolate cookies and garnish with sprinkles, as desired.
- Store these cookies in a sealed container for up to 3 days.
Nutrition InformationCalories: 476, Fat: 23g, Saturated Fat: 16g, Cholesterol: 95mg, Sodium: 85mg, Potassium: 259mg, Carbohydrates: 62g, Fiber: 1g, Sugar: 52g, Protein: 5g, Vitamin A: 11.1%, Vitamin C: 4.4%, Calcium: 12.2%, Iron: 6.4%
*Nutritional information is an estimate. Please consult a doctor or nutritionist for the most accurate nutritional info.
I was selected for this opportunity as a member of Clever Girls Collective and the content and opinions expressed here are all my own.