Cranberry Dark Chocolate Chunk Steel Cut Oatmeal is a quick and easy meal packed with flavor! Use leftover cranberry sauce, chopped dark chocolate, nuts and creamy steel cut oats.
Oatmeal is my go-to breakfast! At any given time, I always have oats and a variety of mix-ins available in my pantry. My daughter loves oatmeal too so every Monday and Thursday morning I make a batch to enjoy throughout the week. Cranberry Dark Chocolate Chunk Steel Cut Oatmeal is a great option for the holidays because it combines one of your favorite Thanksgiving leftovers with dark chocolate and crunchy nuts.
You can use any type of oats for this recipe and adjust your cooking time as needed. I use either steel cut or Irish oatmeal for this because I love the thick creamy consistency of the oats combined with the crunch of the nuts. Enjoy your leftover cranberry sauce for breakfast, lunch or dinner! What are you waiting for? Make a batch of Cranberry Dark Chocolate Steel Cut Oatmeal to enjoy this week.
Cranberry Dark Chocolate Chunk Steel Cut Oatmeal
- 1 tablespoon coconut oil
- 1 cup steel cut oatmeal or Irish oats
- 1 teaspoon cinnamon
- pinch of nutmeg
- 1/4 teaspoon kosher salt
- 2 cups hot water
- 2 cups milk
- 2 tablespoons pure maple syrup
- 1 cup cranberry sauce
- 1/4 cup chopped dark chocolate
- 1/4 cup chopped pecans or walnuts
- In a medium saucepan over medium heat, heat coconut oil until melted. Add steel cut oats and stir for 2 minutes to toast. Stir in cinnamon, nutmeg and salt.
- Add hot water and milk and stir, bringing to a boil. Turn heat down to low; cook oats for 25 to 30 minutes, or until oats thicken to your desired texture. Remove from heat and stir in maple syrup.
- Serve immediately and top with cranberry sauce, dark chocolate chunks and chopped nuts, as desired.
- For Irish oats, reduce cooking time and water/milk according to package instructions, usually around 3 to 5 minutes.
- You can use dairy milk, almond, soy or another milk alternative.
Nutrition InformationCalories: 484, Fat: 19g, Saturated Fat: 8g, Cholesterol: 12mg, Sodium: 218mg, Potassium: 302mg, Carbohydrates: 68g, Fiber: 7g, Sugar: 37g, Protein: 11g, Vitamin A: 225%, Vitamin C: 1.2%, Calcium: 186%, Iron: 3.2%
*Nutritional information is an estimate. Please consult a doctor or nutritionist for the most accurate nutritional info.