Enjoy this Creamy Tomato Basil Tortellini pasta that cooks in one skillet in under 30 minutes!
Skillet meals are the best! They help make weeknight meals easy with quick prep and clean up.
This easy creamy tortellini pasta cooks in one pan in a homemade cream sauce with spinach and tomatoes. Yes, everything including the pasta cooks in one pan.
This recipe consistently receives five star reviews. You can read the reviews below, but here is what Erin has to say about it:
“This has become a family favorite! I double all the ingredients except the basil to feed my family. I make this often.”
Why You’ll Love This Recipe
- The entire meal cooks in one pan.
- This tortellini pasta dish is made with simple easy-to-find ingredients.
- It’s an easy weeknight meal that also tastes great as leftovers.
- Kids and adults love this recipe!
Ingredients You Need
This creamy tortellini with spinach and tomatoes comes together with easy-to-find ingredients.
- Diced Tomatoes: These tomatoes serve as the base for the homemade cream sauce. You can substitute the tomatoes with tomato puree, if desired, but you won’t have any chunks of tomatoes.
- Heavy Cream: This helps to thicken up the cream sauce and add additional creamy texture and flavor.
- Baby Spinach: You can substitute with baby kale, if desired.
- Fresh Basil: Adds even more fresh flavor. You can substitute, but the dish will not be as flavorful.
- Parmesan Cheese: Use freshly grated Parmesan cheese for the best flavor.
- Tortellini: Fresh tortellini is preferred for this recipe. If you use frozen tortellini, cook the pasta for 1-2 additional minutes.
- Vegetable Broth: You can substitute with chicken broth.
- Garlic and Oregano: Adds additional fresh flavor. If you don’t have oregano, you can substitute with Italian seasoning.
How to Make Creamy Tomato Basil Tortellini
The entire recipe comes together in one pot in under 30 minutes. Just a few simple steps creates a cheesy and delicious meal!
- Puree some of the tomatoes: Add 14 ounces of diced tomatoes to a food processor and process until smooth.
- Prepare the cream sauce: In a medium skillet over medium heat, add the pureed tomatoes, garlic and heavy cream. Bring the mixture to a boil and stir. Reduce the heat to a low simmer and stir until slightly thickened.
- Cook the pasta: Increase the heat to medium, then add the fresh spinach, basil, Parmesan cheese, oregano, tortellini and remaining tomatoes (including liquid) to the skillet. Stir until the spinach is wilted. Add the vegetable broth and press the tortellini below the liquid (if needed, add a bit more cream or broth.) Cook until the tortellini is warmed through, about 5 to 8 minutes.
- Serve and enjoy: You can sprinkle with additional Parmesan cheese and more basil, if desired.
- Make is cheesier: If you love cheese, you can add additional Parmesan cheese to make this creamy tortellini even cheesier.
- Add protein: Serve the creamy tortellini with cooked chicken breast or cooked Italian sausage. for an extra hearty meal.
- Add more vegetables: If you want more veggies, you can add some sliced mushrooms or chopped broccoli during step 3. I recommend sautéing the veggies in a skillet before adding to the tortellini.
- Double the ingredients to feed a crowd. You can easily double the ingredients and cook in a large skillet to serve more.
Store leftovers in an airtight container in the refrigerator for up to 3 days. To freeze, allow the tortellini to cool completely, then store in a freezer safe container for up to 2 months.
30 Minute Skillet Dinners
- Creamy Tuscan Garlic Chicken
- Italian Chicken and Potatoes
- Cream Cheese Pasta
- Spinach and Ricotta Pasta
Did you make this Creamy Tomato Basil Tortellini? Leave a recipe rating and review below.
Creamy Tomato Basil Tortellini Skillet
- 1 (20 ounce) can diced tomatoes
- 2 cloves garlic, minced
- 1/2 cup heavy cream
- 2 cups fresh baby spinach
- 1/2 cup fresh basil
- 1/2 cup grated Parmesan cheese, plus more for serving
- 1/2 teaspoon dried oregano
- 9 ounces refrigerated cheese tortellini
- 1/2 cup vegetable broth
- Puree some of the tomatoes (14 oz) in a food processor until smooth.
- In a medium skillet over medium heat, add pureed tomatoes, garlic and heavy cream. Bring to a boil and stir. Reduce heat to low simmer and stir until slightly thickened.
- Increase heat to medium. Add spinach, basil, Parmesan cheese, oregano, tortellini and remaining tomatoes (including liquid) to the skillet. Stir until spinach is wilted. Add vegetable broth and press the tortellini below the liquid (if needed added a bit more cream or broth). Cook until the tortellini is warmed through, about 5 to 8 minutes.
- Sprinkle with additional Parmesan cheese and enjoy!