Say hello to your new favorite, refreshing salad – Cucumber, Dill, Feta and Pistachio Salad. Crisp cucumbers, fresh dill, salty feta and crunchy pistachios are the perfect combination of flavors!
Hi everyone! Danae from Recipe Runner. I hope you all have been enjoying spring as much as I have. We’ve had an unseasonably warm one here in Denver and by unseasonable I mean 70+ degree temperatures and pretty darn perfect. Usually we get a spring blizzard, but nothing yet and I’m not mad about it. There’s always a chance in May, but I’m crossing my fingers it skips a year.
As the weather warms up, my husband and I start grilling nearly every weekend and usually eating outside too. We take advantage of the perfect weather as often as we can. One of the biggest reasons we moved from Arizona to Colorado was to escape the late spring and summer heat. Last week alongside our grilled salmon I also served this Cucumber, Feta and Pistachio Salad.
I got the inspiration for this salad from my latest Cooking Light magazine. However, when I realized that I was out of a couple of the ingredients and wasn’t really digging the dressing, I turned it into a Danae original and holy smokes did I love it!
The cucumber salad is incredibly easy to make and it’s perfect for the warm months ahead. The crisp cucumbers, fresh dill, salty feta and crunchy pistachios are a refreshing combination that’s hard to resist if you’re as big of a fan of these flavors as I am.
The Cucumber, Feta and Pistachio Salad is tossed together in a simple vinaigrette. The vinaigrette is made up of apple cider vinegar that’s heated on the stove, then red onion and salt are added and it’s removed from the heat to steep for a few minutes. The mixture is poured all over the cucumbers and fresh dill, then season with a little olive oil and black pepper. Just before serving add in the feta and pistachios. You don’t want to add the pistachios too early or they’ll get soft.
This salad is best eaten the day it’s made, although if you serve the pistachios on the side you could make it last 2-3 days. I’ve already made it twice in the last week and it will definitely be a staple around here all summer!
Cucumber, Dill, Feta and Pistachio Salad
- 1/4 cup apple cider vinegar
- 1/2 teaspoon kosher salt
- 2 tablespoons minced red onion or shallot
- 2 English cucumbers, sliced thin
- 2 tablespoons chopped fresh dill
- 2 ounces feta cheese, crumbled
- 1/3 cup unsalted pistachios, roughly chopped
- 2 teaspoons olive oil
- 1/4 teaspoon freshly ground black pepper
- Add the apple cider vinegar and salt to a small saucepan and bring to a simmer over medium heat.
- Once simmering, add in the minced red onion or shallot and remove from the heat. Let the onion steep and cool in the vinegar for 10-15 minutes.
- In a large serving bowl combine the cucumbers, dill, feta and pistachios.
- Pour the onion and vinegar mixture over the top of the salad and add in the olive oil and black pepper.
- Toss everything together until coated then serve.
- This salad is best eaten the day it is made. The pistachios will soften the longer they sit in the salad.
- If you want to add a little sweetness to the salad, add 1/2 teaspoon of honey to the warm vinegar and onion mixture.
More Refreshing Salads
Connect with Danae: