Easy oven roasted beets are a simple and sweet recipe. This recipe requires less than 15 minutes of prep time to create the perfect side dish.
Oven roasted beets are a delicious side dish! They are prepared in less than 15 minutes and are packed full of nutrients like potassium, iron and fiber. As a bonus, the deep purple color is a gorgeous addition to your table.
How to Roast Beets in the oven
- First, preheat the oven to 400 degrees Fahrenheit. Use food grade kitchen gloves to cut down on the mess or stain from the beets. Take your beets and remove the tops and the roots of each beet. Take a vegetable peeler and peel the skin off each beet, then cut the beets into 1 ½ inch chunks.
- Next, place the cut beets on baking sheet and toss in olive oil and spices. Roast the beets in the oven for about 35 to 40 minutes, turning the beets once with a spatula. Beets will be ready when they are tender when poked with a fork. Remove from the oven and toss with orange zest. Sprinkle with additional salt and pepper for taste. Serve the roasted beets warm.
Tips for Oven Roasted Beets
Beets should not be intimidating. With a few simple tips, you will be well on your way to making a delicious side dish.
Do you have to peel beets before roasting?
No, you don’t have to peel beets. If you opt to keep the skin on while roasting, they’ll peel off easily after baking. If you do not peel the beets before roasting, make sure to scrub the beets very hard to remove all of the dirt from them.
Can you freeze roasted beets?
Yes, you can freeze them. Just make sure to thaw out before serving. They are great served cold on salads or as a side to your favorite meal prep recipe.
We love serving them as a side dish. But you can garnish with goat cheese for a bit of added flavor or create a Roasted Beet Salad with them. We love prepping them for lunch, by adding oven roasted beets to a protein bowl, buddha bowl and more. The options are endless!
Enjoy this delicious root vegetable for dinner any night. Roasting brings out the earthy sweetness that can go well on a salad, as a dessert or served as a side all on its own. Try these oven roasted beets for yourself and let us know what you think!
Easy Oven Roasted Beets
- 3 large beets, (can also use 4 medium beets or 5 small beets)
- 1 tablespoon extra virgin olive oil
- 1 teaspoon fresh thyme leaves, minced
- 1 teaspoon kosher salt
- 1/2 teaspoon freshly ground black pepper
- 1 teaspoon orange zest
- Preheat oven to 400 degrees F.
- Remove the tops and the roots of the beets and peel each one with a vegetable peeler.
- Cut the beets into 1 1/2-inch chunks. (Small beets can be halved, medium ones cut in quarters and large beets cut into eighths.)
- Place the cut beets on foil-lined baking sheet and toss with olive oil, thyme, salt and pepper. Roast for 35 to 40 minutes, turning once or twice with a spatula, until the beets are tender. Remove from the oven and immediately toss with orange zest. Season with salt and pepper as needed. Serve warm.
- You can adjust this recipe by using more or less beets, as desired.
- Freeze the cooked beets for up to 3 months. Thaw before serving.