Fusilli with Asparagus, Peas and Arugula is a simple recipe that is packed with the freshest flavors! Enjoy this healthier meal all year long.
*Photos updated June 2017.*
The weather this weekend was beautiful and it was a perfect time to be outside. I enjoyed a day off from my busy work schedule and went to the local nursery to pick up some fun, colorful annual flowers for spring. All of the trees and flowers are in bloom and fresh spring green color is all around. Warmer weather, fresh flowers and the start of spring vegetables instantly put me in a good mood. It also gave me the inspiration to make a fresh spring dish with ingredients that are easy to find and good for you. The recipe for Fusilli with Asparagus, Peas and Arugula from The America’s Test Kitchen Healthy Family Cookbook piqued my interest. After making this recipe many times, I decided to share it with you today.
With so much spring green color all around and fresh asparagus available at the farmers market, I wanted to make something crisp, light, and refreshing. This pasta not only includes asparagus but also arugula and peas, creating a wholesome and nutritious meal. In addition, I love how the goat cheese adds a light, creamy texture. This meal was the perfect complement to a beautiful and refreshing spring weekend.
Fusilli with Asparagus, Peas and Arugula
- 4 teaspoons olive oil
- 1 leek white and light green parts only, halved lengthwise and sliced thin
- 2 cloves garlic minced
- 2 teaspoons fresh thyme minced
- 1 ¼ cups chicken broth
- ¾ cup frozen peas
- 3 tablespoons fresh lemon juice
- 1 bunch asparagus tough ends trimmed, and sliced on the bias into 1 inch lengths
- 12 ounces fusilli pasta
- 2 cups baby arugula or baby spinach
- ½ cup crumbled goat cheese
- Heat 2 teaspoons of the oil in a non-stick skillet over medium heat until shimmering. Add the leeks and cook until softened and beginning to brown at the edges, about 5 to 7 minutes. Stir in the garlic and thyme and cook until fragrant, about 30 seconds.
- Slowly whisk in the broth and bring to a simmer, scraping up any browned bits. Remove from heat; stir in the peas and lemon juice. Let stand until the peas are heated through, at least 2 minutes. Season with salt and pepper to taste.
- Meanwhile, bring a large pot of water to a boil. Add the asparagus and 1 teaspoon salt and cook, stirring often, until the asparagus is crisp-tender, 2 to 4 minutes. Remove the asparagus with a slotted spoon and set aside.
- Return the water to a boil, add the pasta, and cook according to the package directions until al dente. When the pasta is finished cooking, reserve ¼ cup of the pasta water, then drain the pasta and return it to the pot.
- Add the arugula to the pasta and toss to wilt. Add the leek-broth mixture, asparagus, goat cheese, and remaining 2 teaspoons of oil, toss to combine. Before serving, add the reserved cooking water as needed to loosen the sauce.
Nutrition InformationCalories: 495, Fat: 11g, Saturated Fat: 5g, Cholesterol: 13mg, Sodium: 389mg, Potassium: 630mg, Carbohydrates: 77g, Fiber: 7g, Sugar: 7g, Protein: 21g, Vitamin A: 2005%, Vitamin C: 32.9%, Calcium: 132%, Iron: 5.4%
*Nutritional information is an estimate. Please consult a doctor or nutritionist for the most accurate nutritional info.
This post may contain affiliate links.