During the holiday months, after baking and taste testing so many cookies, I crave something refreshing and full of flavor. One of my biggest cravings is a fresh salad. I guess it is my body’s way of telling me to counteract all the sweets. I love a fresh seasonal salad and this grilled chicken salad with blue cheese, candied pecans and pomegranate vinaigrette is the perfect salad to satisfying my craving. I call it my cookie detox salad.
This salad includes grilled chicken layered over mixed greens and topped with blue cheese, candied pecans and pomegranate vinaigrette. Pomegranates have a unique flavor because they are slightly sweet and tart at the same time. The dressing is light and the pomegranate adds a refreshing seasonal element to this salad. And of course, the candied pecans is my favorite thing about this salad.
I use the underwater method to remove pomegranate seeds. Place the pomegranate in a large bowl of water. Cut the pomegranate in half and then slowly peal away the membrane to release the seeds. The seeds will sink to the bottom and the membranes will float to the top. I find this to be the easiest and least messy way to peel a pomegranate.
Grilled Chicken Salad with Blue Cheese, Candied Pecans and Pomegranate Vinaigrette
For the pomegranate vinaigrette:
- 1/4 cup pomegranate juice
- 1/4 cup honey
- 1 tablespoon apple cider vinegar
- 1 tablespoon Dijon mustard
- 1/2 cup extra-virgin olive oil
For the salad:
- 2 boneless skinless chicken breasts halved
- 4 cups mixed greens
- 1/3 cup candied pecans
- 1/2 cup crumbled blue cheese
- 1/2 cup pomegranate seeds
- To make the vinaigrette, combine the pomegranate juice, honey, vinegar and mustard in a small bowl and whisk until combined. Continue to whisk as you add the olive oil. Set aside.
- To cook the chicken, season both sides of the chicken breast halves with salt and pepper. Cook the chicken on a grill or grill pan, until the juices run clear and the chicken is cooked through.
- To assemble the salad, divide ingredients into 4 servings, layer with chicken and top with dressing.
Nutrition InformationCalories: 512, Fat: 37g, Saturated Fat: 7g, Cholesterol: 48mg, Sodium: 394mg, Potassium: 413mg, Carbohydrates: 29g, Fiber: 1g, Sugar: 25g, Protein: 17g, Vitamin A: 600%, Vitamin C: 12%, Calcium: 104%, Iron: 1%
*Nutritional information is an estimate. Please consult a doctor or nutritionist for the most accurate nutritional info.