Ground turkey stuffed peppers with quinoa is an easy stuffed peppers recipe. Prep this recipe in only 15 minutes before baking in the oven! The entire family will love this easy dinner.
Stuffed peppers are the perfect family dinner year round. These easy turkey stuffed peppers requires only 15 minutes of prep work. The turkey quinoa filling is adapted from our popular turkey taco quinoa skillet recipe to create a well-rounded meal that the entire family will love.
This recipe is family friendly and packed with protein and flavor. Best of all, this recipe tastes great as leftovers and is perfect for meal prep.
Ingredients You Need
- Ground Turkey – You can substitute with ground chicken or beef.
- Diced Tomatoes – I like to puree some of the tomatoes to help thicken the filling. You can also use diced tomatoes in puree. Tuttorosso is a brand I like to use. You can also add one or two tablespoons of tomato puree.
- Quinoa – Use cooked quinoa for this recipe.
- Bell Peppers – Use large or extra large bell peppers. Three bell peppers yield 6 stuffed peppers. However, if you use smaller peppers, you may be able to make more than 6 peppers. The stuffed peppers are fairly large, so this recipe serves about 4 people (1.5 peppers per person.)
- Cheese – A mix of Monterey Jack and cheddar cheese is best, however you can substitute with your preferred type of cheese.
- Spices – Use a mixture of chili powder, cumin and paprika. You can also garnish with fresh cilantro for more flavor.
- Onion and Garlic – Both of these add flavor.
- Lime – A bit of acidity and citrus flavor compliments the other ingredients.
How to Make Ground Turkey Stuffed Peppers
- Prepare the filling. Add olive oil to a large skillet over medium high heat. When the skillet is hot, add the diced onion and cook until softened. Then, add the ground turkey and garlic. Cook until the meat turns brown, breaking it up with a spoon as it cooks. Add spices and cook for an additional 30 seconds. Add diced tomatoes and simmer for 5 minutes to thicken. Stir in the quinoa and lime juice.
- Fill the peppers with the mixture and bake. Cover with aluminium foil and bake for 30 minutes. After 30 minutes, remove the foil and sprinkle peppers with shredded cheese. Return the peppers to the oven and bake for an additional 10 minutes.
- Prep the ground turkey stuffed peppers in advance. Prepare them and cover with foil, then refrigerate until you are ready to bake. You can refrigerate the prepped peppers for up to 2 days. When you are ready to eat them, bake and enjoy!
- Stuffed peppers are great for leftovers. Prepare the entire recipe, refrigerate and then reheat in the microwave or oven just prior to serving.
- Use high quality ingredients for the best texture and flavor.
STORAGE: Store leftover stuffed peppers in the refrigerator for up to 3 days. Reheat in the microwave or oven before serving.
Other Ground Turkey Dinner Recipes
Ground Turkey Stuffed Peppers with Quinoa
- 1 tablespoon extra virgin olive oil
- 1/2 pound lean ground turkey
- 1/2 yellow onion, diced
- 2 cloves garlic, minced
- 2 teaspoons chili powder
- 1 teaspoon cumin
- 1/2 teaspoon paprika
- 3/4 teaspoon kosher salt
- Black pepper, to taste
- 28 ounces diced Tomatoes, (diced tomatoes in puree is even better)
- 1/2 cup cooked quinoa
- juice of one lime
- 3 extra large bell peppers, halved and seeded
- 1/2 cup shredded Monterey Jack cheese
- 1/2 cup shredded cheddar cheese
- cilantro , for garnish
- Preheat oven to 400 degrees F.
- Add 1 tablespoon oil to a large skillet over medium-high heat. When the skillet is hot, add the diced onion and cook for about 2 minutes until it starts to soften. Add the ground turkey and minced garlic and cook until the meat is almost cooked through, breaking it up in crumbles with a spoon as it cooks.
- Add the chili powder, cumin, paprika, salt and pepper and cook for an additional 30 seconds. Add the tomatoes and simmer for 5 minutes. Stir in the cooked quinoa. Squeeze the lime juice over the mixture.
- Fill the peppers with the mixture. Cover tightly with aluminum foil and bake for 30 minutes. Remove the foil and carefully sprinkle cheese over the top. Return to the oven and bake for an additional 10 minutes. Serve immediately.
- These cooked peppers will keep refrigerated as leftovers for up to 3 days.
This recipe was originally posted in February 2019 and was updated in May 2021 with new process photos and tips.