Hearty Turkey Chili is a classic go-to chili recipe made with plenty of fresh flavors and packed with protein! This is a recipe that kids and adults will love.
*photos updated August 2017*
During my busy season with work, I am always looking for something that is easy to make and works well as leftovers. I also like to make a few meals on Sunday that I can reheat during the week. Hearty Turkey Chili is always a great option because it’s easy to prepare and the leftovers taste even better.
One of the first recipes I made on my own from scratch was this chili recipe. I love cooking this recipe because I have yet to find another turkey chili recipe that is as thick, hearty or delicious. While I generally make this chili the same every time, I like that you can add or subtract ingredients to make it your own. Add a diced jalapeno for a little spice or Italian sausage for a meaty dish. Since this chili gets better with age and reheats well it works perfect as leftovers.
Go ahead, make yourself a large batch of this hearty turkey chili to share with your family and reheat throughout the week. I promise that you will want to make it again and again!
Hearty Turkey Chili
- 1 pound ground turkey
- 2 teaspoon minced garlic
- 1 medium onion chopped
- 1 green bell pepper chopped
- 2 tablespoon tomato paste
- 2 tablespoon chili powder
- 1 tablespoon brown sugar
- 2 teaspoon ground cumin
- 1 teaspoon dried oregano
- ¼ teaspoon pepper
- dash of salt
- 2 bay leaves
- 1 ¼ cup Merlot or other fruity red wine
- 28 ounce can whole tomatoes undrained and coarsely chopped
- 15 ounce can diced tomatoes undrained
- 2 cans (15 ounce) kidney beans drained
- Heat a large Dutch oven or saucepan over medium-high heat. Add the turkey, garlic, onion, and green bell pepper. Cook about 8 minutes or until the turkey is cooked through, stirring to crumble.
- Add the tomato paste, chili powder, brown sugar, cumin, dried oregano, salt, pepper and bay leaves. Cook for 1 minute, stirring constantly. Stir in wine, tomatoes and kidney beans. Bring to a boil. Cover, reduce heat to low, and simmer 45 minutes, stirring occasionally.
- Uncover and cook for 30 minutes. Discard the bay leaves.
- Garnish with cheese and sour cream, if desired.
Nutrition InformationCalories: 196, Fat: 2g, Cholesterol: 41mg, Sodium: 420mg, Potassium: 846mg, Carbohydrates: 17g, Fiber: 4g, Sugar: 9g, Protein: 20g, Vitamin A: 24.2%, Vitamin C: 45.7%, Calcium: 9.9%, Iron: 22.6%
*Nutritional information is an estimate. Please consult a doctor or nutritionist for the most accurate nutritional info.