Instant Pot Asparagus can be made in the pressure cooker in just a few minutes with fresh lemon juice, garlic, olive oil and salt. Ready in less than 20 minutes!
You can cook just about anything in the instant pot including delicate vegetables like asparagus. Asparagus is a great vegetable to pressure cook because it cooks in 20 minutes or less.
The instant pot cooks food by trapping steam inside, which increases the pressure and temperature. This allows food to cook quickly and evenly, without losing any nutrients or flavor. The result is tender pieces of asparagus.
Asparagus is a healthy choice because it’s a good source of vitamins and fiber. It also contains antioxidants. When cooked, it tastes like a slightly sweet and earthy vegetable that goes great as a side dish with just about any meal.
One of the best features of this pressure cooker asparagus recipe is that you don’t have to babysit the pot to toss or turn the asparagus. This leaves you time to prepare the remainder of your meal like easy turkey tenderloin, pan fried cod, spinach ricotta stuffed chicken, baked salmon patties or garlic mashed potatoes.
Why You’ll Love This Recipe
- Pressure cooking asparagus allows it to retain most of its nutrients.
- You can set it and let it cook while doing other tasks.
- Asparagus is a healthy and nutrient-dense vegetable that pairs well with any protein.
- The instant pot asparagus is perfectly cooked and doesn’t get soggy.
Ingredients You Need
- Asparagus – You’ll need fresh asparagus that has the woody ends removed to help create a soft and sturdy edible portion of the vegetable.
- Extra Virgin Olive Oil -Helps the seasonings stick to the asparagus and also helps lock in the moisture while cooking.
- Lemon Juice – Helps brighten the flavor of the asparagus by balancing out any natural bitterness.
- Garlic Cloves – Adds fresh garlic flavor that pairs well with green vegetables.
- Sea Salt – Brings out the natural flavor of the asparagus.
- Water – Goes on the bottom of the pressure cooker to create the steam needed to cook the asparagus. You can substitute the water with chicken broth for more flavor, if desired.
- Garnishes (optional) – Top the asparagus with a spicy red pepper flake and a sprinkling of grated parmesan cheese for a salty and savory finish.
How to Make Instant Pot Asparagus
- Prepare the pressure cooker: Pour the water into the sleeve of the instant pot, then place the metal trivet or steamer rack on top of the water.
- Season the asparagus: Add the prepared asparagus spears on top of the trivet. Drizzle with olive oil and lemon juice. Then, season the asparagus with garlic, salt and red pepper flakes if used.
- Pressure cook the asparagus: Add the lid to the top of the instant pot and make sure the knob is in the sealing position. Set the cooking to MANUAL high pressure for 0 minutes. Once the asparagus is finished cooking, immediately do a quick release.
- Garnish and serve: Once you can open the lid, remove the asparagus from the instant pot and transfer it to a serving dish. Garnish with red pepper flakes or black pepper and grated parmesan cheese.
- Thicker asparagus stalks word best. When choosing asparagus, make sure you choose thick stalks as the pencil thin asparagus stalks may cook too quickly resulting in mushy asparagus.
- Prep ahead. If you’re not using it right away, do not season the asparagus and cook with just olive oil and salt. Once removed, add to an ice bath to stop the asparagus from cooking. Once asparagus is cooled, remove and store in an airtight container until ready to use.
- Use a steamer basket or trivet. You can also cook asparagus in the instant pot using a steamer basket instead of directly on top of the trivet if you prefer.
- Trim the woody stems of the asparagus. Trim with a sharp knife as this part of the asparagus is inedible and tough.
- Instead of olive oil, use a flavored oil such as garlic or truffle to add additional flavor to the dish.
- Use the juice and zest of any citrus fruit to brighten up the flavor including lemon, lime, or orange.
- Add other seasonings to asparagus such as onion powder, garlic salt, and dried herbs like thyme or oregano.
- Toss the easy instant pot asparagus with butter and fresh herbs for a richer and more decadent dish.
- Replace the asparagus with another green vegetable such as broccoli, zucchini, or green beans if you’re not a fan of asparagus.
If you’re looking for a simple side dish for any meal, this easy asparagus recipe is the perfect choice. Relax while the asparagus cooks in the pressure cooker and enjoy this hearty vegetable with your favorite meal. The recipe is the perfect additional to any lifestyle as it’s paleo, low carb, vegetarian and vegan. It’s also a great addition to a keto lifestyle.
Did you try this easy Instant Pot Asparagus recipe? Leave a recipe rating and review below.
Instant Pot Asparagus
- 1 pound asparagus, ends trimmed
- 1/2 cup water
- 1 tablespoon extra virgin olive oil
- 1/2 lemon, juiced
- 2 cloves garlic, minced
- 1/4 teaspoon sea salt
- Red pepper flakes, for garnish (optional)
- Grated Parmesan cheese, for garnish (optional)
- Pour water into the metal bowl of theInstant Pot. Place a trivet into the bowl and lay the trimmed asparagus spears on top.
- Drizzle the olive oil and lemon juice over the asparagus, then season with minced garlic, salt, and red pepper(if using). Secure and seal the lid on the Instant Pot and cook on Manual High for 0 minutes. Perform a Quick Release of the pressure.
- Carefully remove the lid and transfer the asparagus to a serving plate. Garnish with red pepper flakes and Parmesan if desired and serve.