Instant Pot Beef Stew is the perfect comfort food without all of the carbs. This low carb stew is made in the instant pot to make prep and clean up easy!
Now that the colder weather is here, it’s officially soup season in our home. To warm up on chilly nights, I love cooking a large pot of soup or stew using fresh veggies and fall flavors. A large batch of soup or stew can feed a large family and can last as multiple meals for a small family. This recipe uses fresh vegetables that you probably already have in your kitchen to create a quick low carb meal. Add everything to the instant pot and the entire meal is cooked in less than 35 minutes!
How to make instant pot beef stew
This hearty beef stew cooks in the instant pot in less than 35 minutes. After marinating the beef, pour everything into the pressure cooker. Set the cook time on high manual pressure and then wait until it’s done. While you let the instant pot cook for you, spend your time doing other things. Make this no bake cookies and cream cheesecake for dessert or prep your grocery list for the week ahead.
Do you have to cook the meat before you put it in the instant pot?
For this recipe, you don’t have to cook the meat beforehand. The meat cooks completely in the instant pot, so you can put the raw cubed meat straight into the pot. Other Instant Pot recipes vary and you may need to sear or cook the meat prior to cooking with other ingredients.
What’s a replacement for Xanthan Gum in this recipe?
If you don’t have xanthan gum on hand to thicken the stew, cornstarch or arrowroot powder is a good substitute. Use both of these in a 1:1 ratio when substituting the xanthan gum.
If you don’t have an instant pot or pressure cooker, don’t worry. Use a slow cooker or cook on the stove.
To make this beef stew in the slow cooker:
Add all of the ingredients (except the xantham gum) to the slow cooker and cook on high for 4 hours or on low for 7 to 8 hours. After the cook time is up, stir in the xantham gum or cornstarch and let sit for at least 15 minutes to thicken.
To make this beef stew on the stove:
If you don’t have an Instant Pot or slow cooker and want to cook this recipe on the stove, you’ll have to brown and cook the meat through beforehand. Stir in the broth, garlic and spices and simmer for 1 hour. Then stir in the veggies and simmer for an additional hour. The total time will be around 2 and a half hours. During the last few minutes of cook time, stir in the xantham gum or cornstarch to thicken.
Tips for buying an Instant Pot
- Buying an Instant Pot is intimidating because there are SO many choices. We have the 6 Qt 7-in-1 Instant Pot DUO60. It’s the perfect size for a family and provides a few other options beyond pressure cooking (rice, yogurt, steam poultry, etc).
- Shop around to find the best deal. Target, Kohls, Amazon and Macys are all great places to find discounts. Although we like our Instant Pot, we recommend buying the cheapest option in the 6 Qt size. Sometimes the more expensive or newer models are on sale more often.
Are you obsessed with your IP? Check out other IP recipes that are perfect for dinner tonight.
Easy Instant Pot Dinner Recipes
- Instant Pot Chicken and Rice
- Instant Pot Lemon Garlic Butter Chicken Thighs
- Keto Crack Chicken Recipe
- Instant Pot Turkey Sweet Potato Quinoa Chili
- Instant Pot Chicken Stew
We love this beef stew recipe and know that you will too. Try it and let us know what you think!
Instant Pot Beef Stew
- 2 pounds beef chunk roast, , chopped into 1-inch chunks
- 4 cloves garlic,, sliced
- 2 ribs celery,, chopped
- 1 yellow onion,, cut into chunks
- 2 carrots, , peeled and sliced
- 1 parsnip,, sliced
- 2 tablespoons Worcestershire sauce
- 1 teaspoon kosher salt
- 1 teaspoon Italian seasoning
- 1/2 teaspoon black pepper
- 4 cups beef broth
- 1/2 teaspoon xantham gum or cornstarch
- Cube the beef and place in a sealable container or bag. Prepare garlic, celery, onion, carrot, and parsnips and add to the container. Add Worcestershire sauce, salt, pepper, and Italian seasoning. Seal and refrigerate until ready to cook.
- Place contents of bag into Instant Pot with beef broth. Stir well.
- Cover and seal the lid and pressure valve. Cook on Manual High for 20 minutes, allowing a natural pressure release. When pressure valve drops, remove the lid.
- Hit saute and stir in xantham gum. Allow the stew to come to a boil and thicken, 4-5 minutes, then taste and adjust seasoning with salt and pepper if necessary. Serve hot garnished with fresh parsley.
Kitchen tools needed to make this beef stew recipe
- Instant Pot – the instant pot is a workhorse for your kitchen. It makes dinner prep and clean up easy!
- Cutting Board – this one is large but it lasts forever and is the perfect size for prepping dinner.
- Chef’s Knife – avoid injuries and cut with ease with a high quality chef’s knife.