Mexican Black Beans are a classic side dish made with a few simple seasonings. This recipe uses canned beans and a few ingredients from your pantry. A delicious side dish in less than 25 minutes!
Good side dishes can really make a meal. And easy side dishes are even better. We love making these black beans with ingredients found in your pantry. This recipe is a family favorite that we’ve been making for years. The entire recipe comes together in less than 25 minutes and can be prepped in advance.
This is the best canned black bean recipe. A few simple ingredients add so much flavor to a basic can of beans. It’s an authentic dish that you can make at home. Serve them with your favorite tacos, chicken and more.
How do you make Mexican black beans from scratch?
This recipe comes together with a few ingredients from your pantry. The beans simmer on the stove with a few other flavorful ingredients like cumin and chili powder. The process allows the flavors to combine into a delicious side dish.
Saute onions and oil in a pan until onions are translucent. Stir in garlic and tomato paste and cook for 30 seconds. Add the beans to the pan and smash half of the beans with a wooden spoon. Stir in vegetable broth, chili powder, cumin and oregano. Simmer over low heat until the liquid is absorbed, about 1o to 15 minutes. Season with salt and pepper.
What can you eat black beans with?
We love serving black beans with a few of our favorite dishes. This recipe is easy and packed with authentic flavor. Make a batch to serve with your favorite main dish. They are a great side dish to other Mexican recipes and the perfect side dish for tacos. Serve the beans with any of your favorite meals.
- Baked Salsa Chicken
- Barbacoa Beef Tacos
- Instant Pot Brown Rice
- Turkey Enchiladas
- Skillet Chilaquiles
- Coconut Lime Chicken
- Slow Cooker Chicken Tacos
- Mexican Corn on the Cob
- Homemade Churros (for dessert!)
You can even prep this recipe in advance and store in the refrigerator for up to 3 days. They taste even better as leftovers because the flavors have even more time to combine.
They are also freezer friendly. Spoon cooled cooked beans in a freezer bag or freezer safe container. Store in the freezer for up to six months. Thaw, reheat and enjoy.
This recipe is a great choice for everyone. They are made with all plant based ingredients and are a delicious side dish that is good for you too. While we think this recipe is perfect as it is, feel free to adjust the seasonings to fit your taste. You can even add a diced pepper if you like them spicy.
Complete your meal with this easy side dish. Enjoy a delicious classic bean recipe packed with flavor. We love them and hope you do too. Try them and let us know what you think!
Mexican Black Beans
- 2 teaspoons canola oil, (can use vegetable or olive oil)
- ¼ cup diced onion
- 1 clove garlic, minced
- 1 tablespoons tomato paste
- 15 ounces black beans, drained and rinsed (1 can)
- ½ cup vegetable broth
- ¼ teaspoons chili powder
- ¾ teaspoon cumin
- ½ teaspoon oregano
- lime for juicing
- scallions or cilantro
- Heat the oil in a medium skillet over medium heat until shimmering. Add the onions and cook until translucent. Stir in the garlic and tomato paste and cook until fragrant, about 30 seconds.
- Add the beans to the pan. Using a wooden spatula, smash about half of the beans. Stir in the vegetable broth, chili powder, cumin, and oregano. Simmer over low heat, stirring occasionally, until most of the broth has been absorbed, about 10 to 15 minutes. Season with salt and pepper to taste.
- If desired, squeeze fresh lime juice over the top and sprinkle with scallions or cilantro.
- Store leftovers in a sealed container for up to 3 days.