Mint Chocolate Chip Ice Cream is a classic recipe make with only a few ingredients! Freeze the ice cream in your ice cream maker and enjoy.
Nice warm weather calls for a double scoop of ice cream! Nothing beats ice cream that is homemade. Now that summer has almost arrived, it’s practically a necessity to enjoy homemade ice cream. Ice cream is so easy to make too. I mix a few simple ingredients together, churn in my ice cream maker and then enjoy fresh homemade ice cream. I made three different flavors this weekend and enjoyed them all while celebrating the long weekend with family. Today, I’m sharing this quick and easy mint chocolate chip ice cream recipe.
Mini chocolate chips add the perfect amount of chocolate flavor. Using the peppermint extract, yields the perfect intensity of mint flavor. Combining all of the ingredients yields a delectable sweet and refreshing treat to enjoy any time of the year.
Mint Chocolate Chip Ice Cream
- 2 cups heavy cream
- 1 cup 2% milk
- ½ cup sugar
- pinch of salt
- 5 large egg yolks
- 1 teaspoon peppermint extract
- 1 cup semisweet chocolate chips I used mini chips
In a medium saucepan over medium heat, warm the cream, milk, half of the sugar (1/4 cup) and salt.
- In a medium bowl, whisk together the yolks to break them up, and then whisk in the remaining ¼ cup sugar. Scoop out about ½ cup of the warm cream mixture from the saucepan and, while whisking the eggs constantly, add the cream mixture to the bowl with the egg yolks. Repeat, adding another ½ cup of the hot cream mixture to the bowl with the yolks. Using a heatproof spatula, stir the cream in the saucepan as you slowly pour the egg and cream mixture from the bowl into the saucepan.
- Cook the mixture, stirring constantly with the spatula, until the mixture thickens and coats the back of the spatula. Strain the mixture through a fine-mesh strainer into a clean container. Set the container into an ice bath until cool. Chill the mixture thoroughly in the refrigerator.
- Once the ice cream mixture is chilled, whisk in the peppermint extract and then freeze the mixture in your ice cream maker according to the manufacturer’s instructions. Fold the chocolate chips into the ice cream as you remove it from the ice cream maker.
Nutrition InformationCalories: 3490, Fat: 273g, Saturated Fat: 160g, Cholesterol: 1658mg, Sodium: 354mg, Potassium: 1806mg, Carbohydrates: 222g, Fiber: 14g, Sugar: 179g, Protein: 42g, Vitamin A: 172.5%, Vitamin C: 3.5%, Calcium: 82%, Iron: 76.9%
*Nutritional information is an estimate. Please consult a doctor or nutritionist for the most accurate nutritional info.