Penne with Asparagus and Cherry Tomatoes is a simple meal for any day of the week! A simple asparagus pasta recipe made with cherry tomatoes and a few simple ingredients.
I’ve never been a huge fan of heavy pasta dishes. Once in a while I will have fettuccine Alfredo or manicotti. I usually prefer something like butternut squash ravioli or this fusilli with asparagus, peas and arugula. I like pasta dishes light, with a little bit of cheese and a lot of veggies. This penne pasta dish is the perfect weeknight meal and has all the qualities of a perfect dish. I also found that it was a great way to use up a bunch of the cherry tomatoes and basil from my summer garden.
I will admit that the original recipe called for one egg to whisk together with the cheese to make a thicker sauce. The last time I made this recipe, I wanted to try to lighten up the dish even more so I left it out and I think I like the resulting dish without the egg better.
The entire meal comes together in less than 30 minutes. You can also substitute your favorite vegetables to make it your own. Try this asparagus pasta recipe for dinner tonight!
Penne with Asparagus and Cherry Tomatoes
- 8 ounces penne pasta
- 1 tablespoons olive oil
- 1 pound asparagus tough ends trimmed, and sliced on the bias into 1-2 inch lengths
- 3 cloves garlic minced
- 1 pint cherry tomatoes halved
- ¼ teaspoon salt
- ¼ teaspoon freshly ground black pepper
- ½ cup parmesan cheese
- ¼ cup fresh basil
- Bring a large pot of water to a boil. Add pasta and cook according to the package directions until al dente.
- While the pasta is cooking, heat a large nonstick skillet over medium-high heat. Add oil to pan; swirl to coat. Add asparagus and sauté 4 minutes. Mix in garlic and sauté 30 seconds. Add tomatoes and cook until tomatoes are tender, about 6 minutes.
- When the pasta is finished cooking, drain and toss pasta with parmesan cheese, salt and pepper. Add tomato mixture and toss again. Garnish with basil and serve.
Nutrition InformationCalories: 338, Fat: 7g, Saturated Fat: 2g, Cholesterol: 8mg, Sodium: 364mg, Potassium: 633mg, Carbohydrates: 52g, Fiber: 5g, Sugar: 6g, Protein: 15g, Vitamin A: 32.3%, Vitamin C: 41.6%, Calcium: 20.7%, Iron: 22.9%
*Nutritional information is an estimate. Please consult a doctor or nutritionist for the most accurate nutritional info.