We have a pomegranate tree in our yard but this year it only produced one pomegranate. Sad, I know. Our lemon tree, on the other hand, has produced hundreds of lemons. It is amazing how such a small tree can produce so much fruit. We usually just leave them on the tree until we are ready to use them because they stay ripe for quite some time. But with the bitter cold weather these past few days, we thought it was better to pick them then to risk losing all of them due to the cold. Now, I currently have more than one hundred lemons sitting in cloth bags in my dining room waiting to be used. Anyone need any lemons?
So what do you do with so many lemons you ask? You make lemonade, lemon sorbet, lemon bars, lemon pancakes, lemon loaf cake, lemon pepper chicken, and anything else you can possibly think of that uses lemons. I also use it to clean since it smells so fresh. And rather than making just a typical batch of lemonade for the third time this month, I decided to make this pomegranate lemonade spritzer.
Despite the minimal production from our pomegranate tree, the fruit is always easy to find at the store this time of the year. And pomegranate juice can be found year round. So why not make a batch of lemonade, add a little pomegranate juice and some sparkling water to create a fun and refreshing drink. Garnish with a few pomegranate seeds for a juicy and crunchy treat.
What is your favorite way to enjoy pomegranate?
Pomegranate Lemonade Spritzer
- 4 cups water
- 3/4 cup sugar
- 1 cup freshly squeezed lemon juice
- 3/4 cup pomegranate juice
- 1 1/2 cups sparkling water
- pomegranate seeds, for garnish
- Combine 1 cup water and sugar in a medium saucepan over medium heat until the sugar is dissolved. Cool to room temperature.
- In a large pitcher, combine cooled sugar water, lemon juice, pomegranate juice and remaining 3 cups of water. Stir to combine. Just prior to serving add sparking water.
- Garnish with pomegranate seeds and lemon slices, as desired. Keep chilled or serve with ice.
- You can substitute store bought lemonade for the water, sugar and lemon juice. But I highly recommend making your own lemonade. It will result in a more fresh and flavorful drink.