Raspberry Swirl Ice Cream is fresh homemade ice cream with a raspberry swirl and chocolate chunks!
I love making homemade ice cream. It is one of my favorite things to make because it is so easy to make and lasts for days. Ice cream, however, is very difficult to photograph. I make it and it either disappears from the freezer before I have a chance to take a picture, or it rapidly starts melting. With all the warm weather lately, it is a prefect excuse to make more ice cream.
To make this raspberry swirl ice cream, I used my favorite vanilla ice cream recipe. Then, I added the raspberry swirl and chocolate chunks. You can omit the vodka, if desired. However, it prevents the swirl from freezing completely and it gives it a nice smooth texture. I like to leave chunks of raspberry in the swirl but you could certainly strain the raspberries through a mesh sieve to remove the seeds.
Raspberry Swirl Ice Cream
- For the ice cream:
- 2 cups heavy cream
- 1 cup whole milk
- ¾ cup sugar
- pinch of salt
- 1 vanilla bean split in half lengthwise
- 1 teaspoon vanilla extract
- For the raspberry swirl
- 1 ½ cups raspberries fresh or frozen
- 3 taablespoons sugar
- 1 tablespoon vodka
- 2 ounces semisweet chocolate chopped into chunks or chips
- To make the ice cream, combine 1 cup heavy cream, sugar and salt in a medium saucepan. Scrape the seeds from the vanilla bean into the saucepan and add the pod to the pot. Warm over medium heat, stirring, until the sugar is dissolved. Remove from the heat and add the remaining 1 cup cream, milk, and vanilla extract. Chill the mixture thoroughly in the refrigerator.
- Just before churning the ice cream, make the raspberry swirl. Using a fork, mash the raspberries together with the sugar and vodka until they are juicy but chunks of raspberries remain (if using frozen raspberries, let them thaw out a bit first).
- Once the ice cream mixture is chilled, remove the vanilla bean and then freeze the mixture in your ice cream maker according to the manufacturer’s instructions. Fold the pieces of chocolate chips into the ice cream just before removing it from the ice cream maker. Transfer half of the ice cream to a container and spoon half of the chilled raspberry swirl mixture on top. Spoon the remaining ice cream on top and then top with the remaining raspberry swirl mixture.
Nutrition InformationCalories: 2862, Fat: 207g, Saturated Fat: 126g, Cholesterol: 679mg, Sodium: 295mg, Potassium: 1272mg, Carbohydrates: 230g, Fiber: 16g, Sugar: 194g, Protein: 23g, Vitamin A: 7450%, Vitamin C: 50%, Calcium: 665%, Iron: 4.8%
*Nutritional information is an estimate. Please consult a doctor or nutritionist for the most accurate nutritional info.