This easy recipe for Roasted Zucchini and Squash uses fresh summer squash that’s tossed with oil and Italian seasonings and gets roasted up in the oven until tender. It makes a perfect healthy side dish that is ready in 20 minutes!
Over the years, zucchini has become a wonder vegetable. I’ve seen it used in so many different ways like pasta or zucchini boats, but I promise you, roasting up zucchini and squash still tastes amazing!
If you have an abundance of zucchini and yellow squash in the summer months, this simple oven-roasted method is perfect for you. All you’ll need to do is chop up the squash, toss it with oil and seasonings, then roast it in the oven until fork-tender for a veggie side dish that is healthy, and low in calories and carbs, and can be seasoned any way you like.
Why You’ll Love This Recipe
- It’s a great way to use up the abundance of summer zucchini and yellow squash.
- This side dish goes with any protein, side, or main course.
- You can season it with whatever flavors you enjoy.
- Toss it into salads, pasta, or your favorite bean dishes.
Ingredients You’ll Need
- Zucchini & Yellow Squash– Abundant in the summer months, both yellow and green summer squash are the perfect vegetable for roasting as they soak up flavor perfectly.
- Olive Oil – Helps to make the squash tender on the inside.
- Italian Seasoning – A great blend of seasoning that pairs well with zucchini. You can use whatever you like!
- Salt & Pepper – Helps to balance the flavors in this healthy side dish.
- Garnish – Add some grated parmesan cheese to the top for a salty bite and lots of flavor.
How To Make Oven Roasted Zucchini and Squash
Step 1. Prepare for baking. Preheat the oven to 425 degrees F. Line a large baking sheet with parchment paper or aluminum foil.
Step 2. Cut and season the green and yellow squash. Quarter the zucchini and squash, then slice into 1-inch pieces. Arrange in a single layer on the prepared baking sheet. Drizzle the olive oil over the zucchini and toss to evenly coat. Sprinkle evenly with Italian seasoning, salt, and pepper.
Step 3 Roast & serve. Roast squash for 12-15 minutes, tossing with a spatula halfway through the cooking time to ensure even browning. Garnish with grated Parmesan, if desired, and serve immediately.
Roasted zucchini and squash comes together easily. You can elevate this dish with a few expert tips and variations.
- When chopping your squash, make sure that they are all in roughly the same sized pieces so they all cook at once.
- It’s important to make sure your zucchini and squash are in a single layer on the baking sheet so that air gets to circulate around them which makes them roast and not steam.
- Even though 425F seems like a high temperature, it’s important that you don’t go below that or the zucchini will release their moisture too quickly and not have enough time to evaporate which will make the zucchini mushy.
There are plenty of ways you can change up this versatile summer side dish using the ideas below!
- Switch up the seasoning: I used Italian here, but you can also use Cajun seasoning, Taco seasoning, Greek seasoning, or whatever you enjoy best.
- Give it some fresh herb taste. When the squash is finished roasting, you can add some minced fresh herbs like basil, thyme, and oregano to use up the herbs in your garden.
- Bump up the veggies. Make it a mixed roasted vegetable by adding some quick roasting veggies like bell peppers or onions to the mix.
- Serve it in different ways. Add it to a Tortellini Pasta Salad, throw it into a hearty Beef Stew, or use it in Black Bean & Butternut Squash Tacos.
The main difference between both is the shape and texture. Yellow squash has a bulb on the bottom and usually contains less water making it a bit more of a thick texture. Otherwise, they taste the same!
The trick is to make sure that it doesn’t steam in the oven. This is accomplished by making sure the zucchini is in a single layer and also making sure it is at a high enough temperature to create dry heat.
When roasting squash, it’s best if it stays in the peel as the flesh of the zucchini is very delicate and the peel helps keep it together.
More Roasted Vegetable Recipes
- Roasted Potatoes and Carrots
- Roasted Broccoli and Cauliflower
- Oven Roasted Beets
- Roasted Delicata Squash
- Roasted Brussels Sprouts with Balsamic
- Vegetables with Feta
Roasted Zucchini and Squash
- 2 medium zucchini
- 2 medium yellow squash
- 1 tablespoon extra virgin olive oil
- 1 teaspoon dried Italian seasoning
- 1/2 teaspoon kosher salt
- 1/2 teaspoon ground black pepper
- Grated parmesan cheese, for garnish (optional)
- Preheat the oven to 425 degrees Fahrenheit. Line a large baking sheet with parchment paper or aluminum foil.
- Quarter the zucchini and squash, then slice into 1-inch pieces. Arrange in a single layer on the prepared baking sheet. Drizzle the olive oil over the zucchini and toss to evenly coat.
- Sprinkle evenly with Italian seasoning, salt, and pepper (more or less to your taste).
- Roast squash for 12-15 minutes, tossing with a spatula halfway through the cook time to ensure even browning.
- Garnish with grated Parmesan, if desired, and serve immediately.