Southwest Egg Muffin Cups are made with a few fresh ingredients and bake in the oven in less than 30 minutes! These egg cups are great for meal prep and are enjoyed by kids and adults. A healthy breakfast or snack with less than 70 calories each.
Do you eat breakfast every single day? Do you find it difficult to make healthy breakfast choices when you’re on the go? Breakfast is often the most challenging meal of the day for me. Because I prefer to start working almost as soon as I wake up in the morning, I don’t like spending a lot of time preparing breakfast. Instead, I choose options that are quick, easy and can be prepped in advance. Southwest Egg Muffin Cups are one of my go-to breakfast options because they are packed with fresh vegetables and flavor. Best of all, you can make a batch of these baked eggs in muffin tin at the beginning of the week and enjoy them throughout the week.
This baked egg cup recipe is really easy! Fill a muffin pan with some of your favorite veggies. Pour the eggs in the muffin pan with a few additional ingredients, bake and enjoy.
Egg muffin recipe
Divide chopped greens, peppers and onions between 12 muffin cups coated with nonstick cooking spray.
Whisk together eggs, milk, garlic powder, paprika, cumin, salt and pepper in a large bowl. Fill each muffin cup 3/4 full with the egg mixture, pouring over the vegetables. Sprinkle cheese over the top of each muffin cup.
Bake the egg muffin cups for 20 to 25 minutes or until the eggs are set and puffed up. Remove them from the oven and let cool slightly.
Run a knife along the side of each cup, remove and enjoy.
Baked eggs in muffin tin are like mini frittatas. Using a muffin tin for baking creates small little snack size servings for breakfast, lunch or snack.
How to store breakfast egg muffins
Store in the refrigerator for up to three days. Let the egg muffin cups cool completely then place them in an airtight container. Plastic wrap or bags work well too.
Freeze egg cups
To freeze egg muffins, let them cool completely then individually wrap them in plastic wrap. Place them in a ziploc and freeze for up to three months.
Reheat egg muffins
To reheat egg muff cups, take them out of the container and microwave them for about 20 seconds or so. If they are frozen, they will need to be heated for about 60 to 90 seconds. You can also reheat them in a toasted oven or oven for 10 minutes at 350 degrees Fahrenheit.
Healthy breakfast egg muffins are perfect for on-the-go. Pack them in glass food prep containers with some fresh fruit and you have a delicious healthy breakfast to take with you. We love these egg bake muffins but we also taking a peanut butter banana smoothie, some chocolate peanut butter oatmeal cookies or some of our other favorite healthy breakfast muffins.
Healthy breakfast muffins
- Chocolate peanut butter chunk banana oat muffins
- Lemon zucchini muffins
- Banana blueberry baked oatmeal cups
Southwest Egg Muffin Cups
- 3 ounces organicgirl greens, coarsely chopped (I like to use SUPERSPINACH, SUPERGREENS! or I heart baby kale)
- 1/2 cup chopped red bell pepper
- 1/2 cup chopped red onion
- 8 eggs
- 1/2 cup milk, (any kind including almond or soy milk)
- 1/4 teaspoon garlic powder
- 1/4 teaspoon paprika
- pinch cumin
- pinch kosher salt
- pinch ground pepper
- 1/3 cup shredded cheddar cheese, (you can omit if making dairy free)
- salsa and avocado for topping
- Preheat the oven to 375°F. Generously grease a muffin tin with nonstick cooking spray.
- Divide the greens, peppers and onions between the 12 muffin cups.
- In a large bowl, whisk together the eggs, milk, garlic powder, paprika, cumin, salt and pepper until well combined.
- Fill each muffin cup 3/4 full with the egg mixture, pouring over the vegetables. Sprinkle cheese over the top of each cup. Bake for 20 to 25 minutes until eggs are set and puffed up. Remove from the oven and let cool slightly. Run a knife along the sides of each cup, remove and enjoy!
- You can omit the cheese if making dairy free and can use any kind of milk in this recipe.
- Store the egg muffins in the refrigerator for up to 3 days.