Spinach and Ricotta Pasta made with Pasta Lensi Yellow Lentil Penne Rigati is an easy dinner recipe made in less than 25 minutes! Combine fresh spinach, ricotta and a few basic ingredients to create a dinner that is creamy and delicious.
If you’re looking for an easy weeknight dinner that is packed with plant-based protein and flavor, then this spinach ricotta pasta is perfect for you. It can be served as a side dish or a complete meal.
You don’t have to sacrifice flavor to eat meals that are good for you. This recipe comes together in four easy steps. It’s rich, creamy, and delicious!
If you love spinach and ricotta, try this Spinach Ricotta Stuffed Chicken recipe.
Ingredients You Need
Pasta Lensi Yellow Lentil Penne Rigate
Unlike other legume pastas, Pasta Lensi is made with one simple legume ingredient. The Yellow Lentil Penne Rigate is made with lentils – that’s it! The pasta is rich in plant-based protein with up to 23 grams of protein per 3.5 ounce serving, as is the case with all Pasta Lensi’s pastas!
It’s a great option for the entire family and is naturally gluten and grain free. The pasta has a subtle flavor that complements the other ingredients well.
- Ricotta Cheese
- Ground Nutmeg
- Parmesan Cheese
- Salt and Pepper
Recipe Notes and Tips
- Cook pasta according to package instructions.
- Do not overcook pasta. Cooking for 6 to 8 minutes is ideal.
- Once you add the pasta to the boiling water, start cooking the spinach and ricotta sauce. This helps save time.
- Use high-quality full fat ricotta for the best texture and flavor.
- Use fresh spinach.
Substitutions and Additions
- Add grilled chicken or salmon for additional protein.
- Substitute kale for spinach.
- Add vegetables like sautéed asparagus, artichoke or green peas.
- Add sun-dried tomatoes.
- Substitute lemon zest or juice for the nutmeg.
- Try your own combination of flavors with the pasta!
Pasta Lensi Legume Pastas include Yellow Lentil Penne Rigate, Red Lentil Rotini and Chickpea Casarecce. Find Pasta Lensi at your local food stores including Walmart, Meijers, Shop Rite and more.
Try Pasta Lensi in a few of our favorite protein-packed pasta dinners.
More Pasta Dinners
- Lemon Asparagus Salmon Pasta
- Sausage and Peppers Pasta
- Pasta with Brussels Sprouts, Butternut Squash and Kale
- Spaghetti Arrabbiata
Did you try this Spinach and Ricotta Pasta recipe? Leave a recipe rating and review below.
Spinach and Ricotta Pasta
- 10 ounces Pasta Lensi Yellow Lentil Penne Rigate
- 2 tablespoons unsalted butter
- 3 cloves garlic, minced
- 6 ounces fresh spinach
- 8 ounces ricotta
- 1 tablespoon Parmesan cheese, grated or shaved, plus more to taste
- Ground nutmeg, to taste
- Salt and pepper, to taste
- Cook the pasta according to the package instructions. Drain and reserve one cup of the pasta water.
- Melt the butter in a large skillet set over medium heat. Add the garlic and spinach and cook for 1 minute, until fragrant. Stir in the ricotta and cook for 1 minute.
- Add the cooked pasta and 1/4 cup of the reserved pasta water. Cook for 2 to 3 minutes, stirring frequently, until combined. Add up to an additional 1/4 cup of the pasta water to loosen the sauce, as desired.
- Stir in the Parmesan, nutmeg, salt and pepper, to taste. Serve with additional Parmesan, if desired. Enjoy!
This post is sponsored by Pasta Lensi. As always, all opinions are my own.
Thank you very much for the recipe! It was a quick, easy and very tasty dinner
Really enjoyed this dish as a late lunch. I had cooked the fresh spinach a day earlier but didn’t feel like eating it yet until today. Today I wanted a bowl of pasta so I turned to Pinterest. I checked my saves and there was the recipe. Turned out perfect! I will have the leftovers tonite with my steak!!
Very easy recipe to follow. I didn’t follow any of the measurements correctly, I used about 17 ounces of pasta and about doubled the other ingredients, though not exactly. It turned out amazing! I also used fusilli pasta instead of penne, and only a little of the extra pasta water. Definitely will use this recipe again and I highly recommend it!!
I’m glad you enjoyed. Thank you so much for your feedback!
Made this pasta and it came out just fantastic! Definitely saving this recipe to make it again. Thank you so much!
This sounds fabulous and easy to make! Thanks for the recipe, I will be trying it soon!
Spinach and pasta is a combination that I’ve never tried, but the ricotta really ties it all together. Thank you for sharing!