Summer is on my mind. Perhaps it’s because the end of my busy work season means the start of my summer vacation. And it always seems like summer starts earlier in Florida anyway. Would anyone like some 85 degree weather?
On my first day off from work after my long busy season, I enjoyed this Summer Flatbread with Strawberries, Mango, Avocado, Bacon and Goat Cheese. It was literally one of those last minute recipes that I threw together based on what I had available in my house and my craving for fruit. It was a big winner so I thought I would share the recipe with you today.
I think people fall into two categories, you either like fruit in savory dishes, like salad and pizza, or you don’t. Brad hates fruit on salad and refuses to eat any salad with fruit on top. I say pile it on, especially strawberries! With the strawberries, mango and avocado, this flatbread is a light and refreshing lunch or dinner. It would also work well as an appetizer for a summer dinner party.
Slightly sweet and slightly savory, this flatbread is the best of everything all in one. I layer the ingredients over naan bread. Pop it in the oven, and you have a refreshing meal to enjoy in little time.
Don’t miss the giveaway for a KitchenAid Food Processor happening now on my blog. Go HERE to enter.
Summer Flatbread with Strawberries, Mango, Avocado, Bacon and Goat Cheese
- 1 cup balsamic vinegar
- 4 strips thick- cut bacon
- 2 pieces naan
- 4 ounces goat cheese
- 1 small avocado chopped
- 1 cup chopped strawberries
- 1 cup chopped mango
- 1/4 cup coarsly chopped basil
- To prepare the balsamic reduction, in a small saucepan over medium-high heat, bring balsamic vinegar to a simmer. Reduce heat to medium-low, and simmer until the vinegar has reduced to 1/4 cup, about 20 minutes. Set aside and let cool.
- Heat a large skillet over medium heat and add the bacon. Cook until crisp; remove bacon and crumble.
- Preheat oven to 400 degrees. Place pieces of naan in a single layer on a large baking sheet. Divide goat cheese between the pieces of naan and use a spoon to spread it over the top. Sprinkle the bacon on top of the goat cheese. Layer the avocado, strawberries, and mango over the top, diving between the pieces of naan.
- Bake for 10 to 15 minutes, or until the toppings are cooked and the crust is slightly golden. Remove flatbread from oven, sprinkle with basil and garnish with the balsamic vinegar reduction. Slice and serve warm.
Nutrition InformationCalories: 1170, Fat: 65g, Saturated Fat: 22g, Cholesterol: 83mg, Sodium: 1570mg, Potassium: 1021mg, Carbohydrates: 108g, Fiber: 11g, Sugar: 38g, Protein: 33g, Vitamin A: 36.2%, Vitamin C: 100.5%, Calcium: 23%, Iron: 18.7%
*Nutritional information is an estimate. Please consult a doctor or nutritionist for the most accurate nutritional info.
So there you have it, five all new strawberry recipes to add to your menu plan! Take a look at all of the strawberries recipes that I posted this week: