A fun and flavorful frozen cocktail is made from a few simple ingredients. Enjoy the taste of the tropics with a frozen Tropical Slushie!
Spring is right around the corner and that means warmer weather! Soon we will be turning on our barbecues and sipping fun tropical cocktails (or mocktails) by the pool with our friends and family. To prepare you for the warmer weather I am sharing a fun, quick and easy Tropical Slushie recipe that can be enjoyed all year long.
In 2016, I teamed up with the National Frozen & Refrigerated Foods Association as part of the Cool Food Panel to bring you even more recipes featuring frozen and refrigerated foods. To celebrate March Frozen Food Month, I created a delicious Tropical Slushie. For the frozen cocktail, I used Dole Fruit & Veggie blends in the orange medley flavor that you can find in the freezer aisle of your local grocery store. I chose the blend because it is made from some of my favorite fruit: mangos, mandarin oranges, pineapple and bananas, and includes one of my favorite vegetables, sweet potatoes. The fruit and veggies are frozen at their peak freshness to retain the best flavor. Together, the ingredients create a cool treat that is made from all-natural ingredients. The combination of colors and flavors yields a beautiful drink for you to enjoy this season.
My freezer is always packed with frozen fruit and frozen fruit blends. One of my favorite quick and easy snacks (not to mention convenient) is a simple smoothie. Sometimes I omit most of the other smoothie ingredients and just process the frozen fruit to create a refreshing post-workout snack or a cool treat on a hot summer day. But why wait until a hot summer day? I love making frozen treats all year long and love adding smoothies and frozen cocktails to my weekly menu.
Try something new this spring and experiment with a unique blend of Dole frozen fruit and vegetables. Add your favorite ingredients to create your own twist on a fun frozen cocktail!
Fun tips to create unique frozen cocktails:
- Keep it simple – Use frozen fruit or blends because the fruits and veggies are already chopped and then frozen at peak freshness. All of the flavors are already combined so you only need to add a few simple ingredients, such as liquid, to the blends.
- Blend unique flavors – Don’t be afraid to add vegetables, such as sweet potato or carrots to your frozen cocktails. Not only do they add nutrients, but they often enhance the color and flavor.
- Get the entire family involved – Most frozen cocktails can be made with or without alcohol. For kids, omit the alcohol and serve them a tasty tropical drink.
- Serve in a fun and unique cup – Use a hollowed-out coconut shell or pineapple as an alternative to your standard cup. You will be instantly dreaming of sipping your drink on the beaches in Hawaii.
- 1 16 ounce package Dole Orange Medley Fruit & Veggie Blends
- 3/4 cup pineapple juice
- 3/4 cup orange juice
- 2 ounces vodka or dark rum optional
- fresh fruit or maraschino cherries for garnish
- Combine fruit and veggie blend, pineapple juice, orange juice and your choice of liquor in a blender. Blend on high until smooth. Pour drink into glasses or hollowed out pineapple. Garnish with fresh fruit or maraschino cherries, as desired. Serve immediately.
Nutrition InformationCalories: 166, Sodium: 2mg, Potassium: 761mg, Carbohydrates: 57g, Fiber: 4g, Sugar: 38g, Protein: 2g, Vitamin A: 185%, Vitamin C: 55.4%, Calcium: 22%, Iron: 0.5%
*Nutritional information is an estimate. Please consult a doctor or nutritionist for the most accurate nutritional info.
This post was created in partnership with the National Frozen & Refrigerated Foods Association to celebrate March Frozen Food Month. As always, all opinions are my own.