Ground turkey, quinoa, black beans, corn, tomatoes and Mexican spices all cooked together in just one skillet! This healthy and delicious Turkey Taco Quinoa Skillet dinner will become your family’s favorite weeknight dinner.
One pan Mexican quinoa
Hi everyone! Danae from Recipe Runner and I’m back to share this easy one pan Mexican quinoa skillet. This recipe cooks in one pan and is a healthy meal with ground turkey. It tastes delicious served on it’s own or in tacos to create an easy turkey taco recipe. We know that you’re going to love this turkey taco quinoa skillet recipe made with ground turkey.
How to make Ground Turkey Taco Quinoa Skillet
This easy skillet dinner cooks in one pan in 30 minutes!
- First, cook the diced onion over medium heat in a skillet for about two minutes. Add the ground turkey and minced garlic. Once cooked, stir in the spices, chiles, black beans, corn, quinoa and other ingredients.
- Simmer for about 25 minutes then sprinkle with cheese and serve.
- Serve this quinoa dinner it in tortillas as tacos or on top of your favorite greens. The entire meal can be prepped in advance too!
Since I love Mexican food and am always looks for ways to jazz it up and keep it healthier, this Turkey Taco Quinoa Skillet is a perfect option for me. Along with ground turkey and quinoa, you’ll also find a slew of Mexican spices, black beans, green chiles, corn, fire roasted tomatoes and of course it wouldn’t be complete without some melted cheese on top! It can be served as is, in tortillas for tacos or on top of your favorite greens like a taco salad. The skillet meal comes together in about 30 to 40 minutes making it a great weeknight dinner choice. Enjoy!
Healthy meals with ground turkey
We love adding ground turkey to any meal. You can often substitute ground beef for turkey. Below are a few of our favorite healthy recipes that use ground turkey.
- Buffalo Chicken Sloppy Joes (use ground turkey instead)
- Ground Turkey Stuffed Peppers
- Southwest Turkey Breakfast Skillet
- Turkey Enchiladas
- Italian Turkey Meatballs
Just because it’s January and many of us are trying to eat healthier doesn’t mean that we have to eat food that tastes like cardboard or lettuce all day every day. It also doesn’t have to use complicated expensive ingredients or take all day to prepare. Healthy eating can be delicious, colorful, full of flavor and easy to make. This Turkey Taco Quinoa Skillet is a perfect example of a flavorful, healthy, one pan meal that everyone in the family is sure to enjoy!
Turkey Taco Quinoa Skillet
- 1/2 pound lean ground turkey, (I use 99% lean)
- 1/2 yellow onion,, diced
- 2 cloves garlic,, minced
- 4 ounce can diced green chilis
- 2 teaspoons chili powder
- 1 teaspoon cumin
- 3/4 teaspoon kosher salt
- black pepper, , to taste
- 1 (15 ounce) can of black beans,, rinsed and drained
- 1 (14.5 ounce) can of diced fire roasted tomatoes
- 1/2 cup frozen corn
- 1/4 cup jarred salsa
- 1/2 cup rinsed quinoa
- 1/2 cup water
- 1/2 cup shredded Monterey Jack cheese
- 1/2 cup shredded cheddar cheese
- cilantro, , for garnish
- Spray a large skillet generously with cooking spray and heat over medium-high heat. When the skillet is hot add in the diced onion and cook for about 2 minutes until it starts to soften. Add in the ground turkey and minced garlic and cook until the meat is almost cooked through, breaking it up into crumbles with a spoon as it cooks. Stir in all the spices and the diced green chiles, cooking for another minute. Add in the black beans, corn, fire roasted tomatoes, salsa and quinoa, stirring until everything is combined.
- When the mixture starts to bubble add in the water, cover the skillet with a lid and lower the heat to medium-low. Simmer for about 20-25 minutes or until the quinoa is cooked, it should still have a slight bite to it, but not be hard and crunchy.
- Sprinkle the shredded cheese on top and cover with the lid cooking until the cheese is melted. Serve as is, in tortillas for tacos, or on top of your favorite greens.
- Leftovers may be frozen for a later use.
Connect with Danae: