Easy vanilla mug cake recipe is the perfect dessert! Enjoy this easy mug cake on your own or share it with a friend. Combine a few simple pantry staples in a mug, pop it in the microwave and then enjoy!
Are you looking for the perfect easy small dessert? Vanilla mug cake is exactly what you need! This mug cake recipe is AMAZING and is made with a few simple ingredients that you probably already have in your pantry. Add some chocolate sprinkles for additional flavor, pop it in the microwave and then enjoy. The entire recipe is ready in less than 10 minutes and is the perfect dessert for any day of the week. It’s our go-to recipe when we are craving something sweet but don’t want to bake a large recipe.
What is a mug cake?
It’s a cake made in a mug! Mug cakes are the best because you just stir together a few ingredients in a mug cup, pop it in the microwave and then enjoy. It’s that easy. They are the perfect last minute dessert or when you want a quick and easy dessert after dinner.
How to make vanilla mug cake
To make this vanilla mug cake recipe, you will need unsalted butter, milk, vanilla extract, sugar, flour, baking powder and salt. You can also add chocolate sprinkles, if desired.
Place the butter in a large mug and microwave for 30 seconds until melted. Allow the mug to cool for 2 to 3 minutes. Quickly whisk in the milk, vanilla extract and sugar. If the butter begins to solidify, microwave it for 30 seconds to warm the milk. Then, whisk in the flour, baking powder and salt. Stir in the chocolate sprinkles. Microwave for 80 to 90 seconds. Cool the mug for two minutes before serving.
Mug cake tips
- Use a large mug to prevent spilling. Use a mug that is at least 14 ounces to prevent the cake from bubbling over in the microwave.
- You can substitute the sprinkles for chocolate chips or rainbow sprinkles.
- Serve with fresh strawberries and whipped cream, if desired.
- The mug will be very hot after cooking in the microwave. Allow it to sit for at least two minutes before touching or eating.
- You can make the mug cakes in advance and cover until you’re ready to eat.
- Do not make mug cakes in the oven. Mug cake recipes are for the microwave only.
- Because this is a small cake, you do not need to use eggs. The combination of ingredients in this recipe yields the best texture and flavor.
If you’re looking for other small desserts, try our Chocolate Cookie Cheesecake Parfait, Cannoli Cupcakes, and Lemon Cheesecake Bars. All the recipes are large batch single serving desserts. If you’re looking for small batch recipes that serve two people, check out this Mini Chocolate Cake or Lemon Cake with White Chocolate Mousse Frosting.
What are you waiting for? After you make this vanilla cake in a mug, you will be making the same recipe again and again. It’s the best vanilla mug cake with the best texture and flavor. If you try the recipe, don’t forget to come back and leave a review below!
Vanilla Mug Cake
- 2 tablespoons unsalted butter
- 3 tablespoons milk
- 1/2 teaspoon pure vanilla extract
- 3 tablespoons granulated sugar
- 1/4 cup all-purpose flour
- 1/2 teaspoon baking powder
- pinch salt
- 1 tablespoon chocolate sprinkles
- Place butter in a large mug and microwave 30 to 40 seconds until melted. Allow to cool 2 to 3 minutes.
- Quickly whisk in the milk, vanilla extract, and sugar, mixing well (if the butter begins to solidify, microwave it for 30-45 seconds to warm the milk). Whisk in the flour, baking powder, and salt until combined. Stir in the sprinkles.
- Microwave for 80 to 90 seconds. The top should look set but slightly wet when done. Cool a few minutes before enjoying.
Kitchen tools and ingredients needed for this mug cake recipe vanilla
- Use a large mug to prevent the cake from bubbling over while cooking. We like to use these extra large coffee mugs.
- High quality vanilla extract creates the best texture and flavor. Use pure vanilla extract.
- Don’t forget to add a tablespoon of chocolate sprinkles!
IF YOU TRY THIS RECIPE, DON’T FORGET TO LEAVE A REVIEW BELOW AND THEN SHARE A PHOTO AND TAG @SPOONFULFLAVOR ON INSTAGRAM.
This post contains affiliate links.