This easy vanilla mug cake recipe is a quick single-serving dessert that is ready in under 5 minutes. Pop the ingredients into a mug, microwave and enjoy with extra sprinkles!
If you’re looking for a simple one-serving dessert, this vanilla cake in a mug won’t disappoint! It’s moist with incredible flavor and texture. Enjoy this sweet treat in less then 10 minutes from start to finish.
Top your cake with whipped cream, sliced strawberries, frosting, sprinkles, nuts and more! And if you love single serving desserts, try this brownie in a mug.
Why You’ll Love This Recipe
- Quick and Easy – A mug cake is the perfect alternative to a traditional whole cake that can be made in minutes.
- Pantry-staple ingredients – If you bake at home then you probably already have all of the ingredients needed for the best mug cake.
- No-bake – No oven preheating or baking time is required!
- Eggless recipe – The small size of this cake means that you won’t need eggs.
This easy microwave vanilla mug cake recipe requires simple ingredients that you likely already have in your pantry, especially if you enjoy baking!
- Flour: All-purpose flour is the best choice. You can also use a gluten free 1:1 substitute to make it gluten free.
- Granulated Sugar: White sugar is the best type of sugar to keep the vanilla appearance. Light brown sugar can be used in a pinch but will change the flavor of the cake slightly.
- Butter: Desserts are always best made with unsalted butter. You don’t need to soften the butter prior to making this recipe since it will be melted in the microwave.
- Milk: Whole milk results in the best flavor and texture. However, another type of milk including dairy-free milk can be used instead.
- Vanilla Extract: This can be swapped with a different extract should you want to make a different flavored cake.
- Baking Powder: Always check the expiration date on this ingredient’s packaging to ensure a good rise in the cake.
- Salt: You only need a pinch to intensify the flavors.
- Chocolate Sprinkles: To be stirred into the batter. Add extra sprinkles to the top of the cake just before serving for extra sweetness and indulgence. Birthday cake sprinkles would also pair well with classic vanilla flavor.
You’ll need a microwave-safe large mug that is at least 14 ounces and a small whisk or utensil to combine the ingredients in the mug. That’s it!
How to Make Vanilla Mug Cake
This recipe is as easy as mixing the dry ingredients into the wet ingredients in a mug and heating it in the microwave! Here are the few steps you’ll need to follow:
- Melt the butter: Add the butter to the mug and microwave on high for 30 to 40 seconds. Allow the melted butter to cool for 2 to 3 minutes before continuing.
- Combine the rest of the ingredients: Work quickly to whisk in the milk, sugar and vanilla. If the butter starts to solidify, you can microwave for another 30 seconds to melt. Then, whisk in the flour, baking powder and salt. Stir in the chocolate sprinkles, if desired.
- Microwave: Microwave the mug cake for 80 to 90 seconds. The top of the cake will look slightly wet but set.
- Cool and serve: Allow the cake to cool for 2 minutes before serving.
- Mug size: A large mug is needed for this recipe to prevent the cake batter spilling out. A mug that is at least 14 ounces will work.
- Microwave-safe mug: Always check that the mug used is suitable for the microwave. Mugs that aren’t microwave-safe can crack and break.
- Hot to the touch: Be careful because the mug will be very hot once the cake has cooked. It’s important to let the mug sit for at least 2 minutes after the cooking time to allow both the mug and the cake to cool or you could burn your fingers or mouth.
- Make ahead: This mug cake can be made a day in advance and covered with plastic wrap or aluminum foil to be enjoyed later.
- Do not bake in the oven! Mug cake recipes are not suitable for the oven.
Enjoy the best vanilla mug cake recipe straight from the mug. It can be served with:
Toppings: Fresh berries or sweet maraschino cherries with whipped cream ( or marshmallow fluff) are the perfect topping! You could also sprinkle some chopped nuts and add a drizzle of chocolate syrup, caramel sauce, raspberry sauce or strawberry syrup.
Ice Cream: Serve a scoop of ice cream alongside this scrumptious cake.
- Add-ins: Stir in a handful of chocolate chips instead of chocolate sprinkles if you prefer larger chunks of gooey chocolate.
- Flavor: Change the flavor of the cake by adding some cocoa powder, instant coffee, or by using a different extract such as strawberry extract, almond extract or add some lemon or orange zest.
- Gluten-free: Use a brand of flour that is suitable for gluten sensitivities such as Bob’s Red Mill 1:1 gluten free flour. I don’t recommend almond flour or coconut flour for this dessert as it will change the amount of liquid needed and that can be tricky for such a small cake.
- Dairy-free: Use dairy-free milk or unsweetened almond milk instead.
- Vegan: To make this recipe vegan, use vegan butter instead of real butter and a plant-based milk instead of dairy milk. Some have tried peanut butter instead of unsalted butter in equal amounts with great results!
Frequently Asked Questions
A mug cake is simply a cake made in a mug that’s perfect for anyone with a sweet tooth! They don’t require any traditional baking equipment and tools since all of the ingredients are mixed in a mug and then microwaved until done!
Eggs are not required in a mug cake since the cake is so small. The ingredients used create a moist cake with the best flavor and texture.
Mug cakes can become overly dense and chewy if too much oil or butter is added to the mixture or if they are overcooked.
Did you try this Vanilla Mug Cake recipe? Leave a recipe rating and review below.
Vanilla Mug Cake
- 2 tablespoons unsalted butter
- 3 tablespoons milk
- 1/2 teaspoon pure vanilla extract
- 3 tablespoons granulated sugar
- 1/4 cup all-purpose flour
- 1/2 teaspoon baking powder
- pinch salt
- 1 tablespoon chocolate sprinkles
- Place butter in a large mug and microwave 30 to 40 seconds until melted. Allow to cool 2 to 3 minutes.
- Quickly whisk in the milk, vanilla extract, and sugar, mixing well (if the butter begins to solidify, microwave it for 30-45 seconds to warm the milk). Whisk in the flour, baking powder, and salt until combined. Stir in the sprinkles.
- Microwave for 80 to 90 seconds. The top should look set but slightly wet when done. Cool a few minutes before enjoying.