Wild Rice and Quinoa with Apple Cranberry and Greens is an excellent gluten free alternative to stuffing. This healthy side dish is packed with flavor and the freshest ingredients!
Thank you to organicgirl for sponsoring this post!
Thanksgiving meal prep is well underway in my house. With only a few days left until turkey day (seriously, how is it already the end of November?!), I’m prepping homemade cranberry sauce, a simple brined turkey and healthier side dish options. What’s on your Thanksgiving Day menu? Wild Rice and Quinoa with Apple Cranberry and Greens is a healthier gluten-free option for your holiday menu. The rice and quinoa dish is packed with hearty ingredients such as apples, celery, cranberries, kale, spinach and more. Substitute traditional stuffing for this wild rice and quinoa stuffing without sacrificing flavor.
For this recipe, I used organicgirl SUPER SPINACH blend because it combines baby spinach, baby bok choy and sweet baby kale. All of the ingredients are mixed together and then baked to create a side dish that is packed with fresh seasonal flavor. Best of all, the recipe calls for an entire 5 ounce package of greens. Sneak plenty of nutrient-packed ingredients into your Thanksgiving Day menu and then enjoy this side dish for dinner all season long. Wild rice and quinoa with apple, cranberry and greens also tastes great stuffed inside of your favorite squash. I stuff it into acorn squash, top with cheese and then bake in the oven. The stuffed squash creates an entire meal that is filling, healthy and flavorful.
What is your favorite way to incorporate fresh greens into your holiday menu? Visit organicgirl for more recipe ideas and don’t forget to place your order for fresh greens, salad dressings and juices to be delivered to your home just in time for the holidays! Why not gift your friends and family their own green box packed with organicgirl products? Nothing beats spending time with your friends and family while enjoying fresh homemade food during the holiday season. Enjoy!
Wild Rice and Quinoa with Apple Cranberry and Greens
- 5 1/2 cups vegetable broth
- 2 cups uncooked wild rice
- 1 cup uncooked quinoa
- 2 tablespoons extra virgin olive oil
- 1 clove garlic minced
- 1 medium yellow onion finely chopped
- 1/2 cup diced celery
- 1 1/2 cups chopped Granny Smith apples
- 2 tablespoons fresh thyme minced
- 5 ounces organicgirl SUPER SPINACH
- 1 cup dried cranberries
- fresh sage leaves for garnish
- Preheat oven to 350 degrees F. Lightly grease a large casserole dish; set aside.
- In a large saucepan set over medium-high heat, combine the wild rice, vegetable broth and salt. Bring to a boil. Reduce heat to low, cover and simmer until the rice is tender, about 25 to 30 minutes. Stir in the quinoa, cover and cook an additional 15 minutes. Remove cover and cook an additional 5 minutes. Remove from heat.
- While the rice is cooking, heat the oil in a large nonstick skillet over medium heat. Add the garlic and stir until fragrant, about 30 seconds. Add the onion and cook, stirring occasionally for 3 minutes. Add the celery and apple and continue stirring until soft, about 3 additional minutes. Add the fresh thyme and stir until combined. Add the greens and stir until wilted, about 1 to 2 minutes. Remove from heat. Stir in the cranberries.
- Once the rice is done cooking, stir in the apple, cranberry and greens mixture into the rice.
- Gently spoon the rice mixture into the casserole dish. Bake until golden brown, about 25 to 30 minutes. Garnish with fresh sage leaves. Serve immediately.
Nutrition InformationCalories: 442, Fat: 7g, Sodium: 894mg, Potassium: 623mg, Carbohydrates: 85g, Fiber: 8g, Sugar: 20g, Protein: 13g, Vitamin A: 2850%, Vitamin C: 13.6%, Calcium: 69%, Iron: 3.6%
*Nutritional information is an estimate. Please consult a doctor or nutritionist for the most accurate nutritional info.
Other Healthy Fall Side Dish Recipes:
This post is sponsored by organicgirl. As always, all opinions are my own.