Slow Cooker Chicken Enchilada Soup
Yield: 4 servings
This enchilada soup is a warm and comforting meal perfect for the weeknight. Let dinner cook in your slow cooker and come home to a flavorful meal!
In a saucepan over medium-low heat, melt butter. Add flour and stir until smooth and bubbly. Remove from heat; slowly add ½ cup chicken broth and ½ cup milk. Whisk to keep smooth. Return to heat. Bring sauce to a gentle boil; cook, stirring constantly, until it thickens. Remove from heat. Add enchilada sauce, remaining milk and remaining broth to heated broth mixture. Whisk until smooth. Set aside.
In a slow cooker, combine drained beans, tomatoes, corn, onion, and bell pepper. Place the chicken breasts on top of the mixture. Pour sauce mixture over ingredients in cooker. Cover; cook on low heat for 6 to 8 hours or on high heat for 3 to 4 hours. When the chicken is cooked through, remove chicken and cut or shred into bite-sized pieces. Add chicken back into the soup and mix well. Top with cheese, sour cream, avocado or tortilla chips, as desired.
- Store the soup in the refrigerator for up to 3 days, or freeze for up to 3 months.
- Flour: You can use another type of thickening agent, if desired. Arrowroot powder or corn starch works well too.
- Chicken: You can use boneless chicken thighs instead of breasts, if desired.
- Broth: You can substitute vegetable broth for chicken broth, if desired but it may alter the flavor slightly.
- Enchilada sauce: You can use store bought or homemade.
- Nutritional information does not include additional toppings.
Serving: 0g, Calories: 308kcal, Carbohydrates: 24g, Protein: 29g, Fat: 11g, Saturated Fat: 5g, Cholesterol: 93mg, Sodium: 431mg, Potassium: 809mg, Fiber: 3g, Sugar: 5g, Vitamin A: 418IU, Vitamin C: 35mg, Calcium: 86mg, Iron: 1mg
If you try this recipe, don’t forget to leave a review below or share a photo and tag @spoonfulofflavor on Instagram.