Hot chocolate balls or hot cocoa bombs, as they are also known, are a fun delectable treat for kids and adults. These hot cocoa balls include a chocolate shell filled with hot cocoa mix and other delicious surprises. This recipe makes 6 balls and is ready in 30 minutes!
This post includes everything you need to make hot cocoa balls. The process is relatively easy. Follow the full recipe and expert tips to ensure foolproof hot cocoa bombs every single time.
What are Hot Cocoa Balls
Hot cocoa balls are also called hot cocoa bombs or hot chocolate bombs. When you place the ball in a mug with warm milk or water, the sweet chocolate shell melts and releases hot cocoa plus any other fillings like marshmallows or candy.
Once the chocolate is stirred in and emulsified, the result is a warm and comforting cup of hot chocolate.
Ingredients You Need
- Semisweet Chocolate: You can use chocolate chips or a good quality chocolate bar. Semi sweet chocolate is not too too sweet and not too bitter. If you prefer a less sweet drink, then choose dark chocolate. If you prefer a sweeter drink, then choose milk chocolate.
- Hot Cocoa: Use your favorite brand of hot cocoa.
Add-ins and Fillings
Besides the hot cocoa, you can add other fillings to the chocolate balls. Small ingredients that add flavor are great choices to fill the hot cocoa bombs.
- Mini marshmallows
- Mini chocolate chips
- Peanut butter chips
- Crushed or small pieces of candy canes
- Brownies – For this recipe, we use small chunks of cosmic brownies.
- Graham Cracker Crumbs
- Microwave safe bowl
- Silicone sphere mold: It should be about 2 1/2″ inches in diameter.
- Small baggie or piping bag
Steps to Make Hot Chocolate Balls
Don’t be intimidated! Hot chocolate balls are relatively simple to make in a few basic steps.
- Melt the chocolate. This is easy and done in the microwave. Melt the chocolate in 30 second increments, stirring in between. This should take 60 to 90 seconds.
- Brush the chocolate into the silicone mild. You can do this with a pastry brush or the back of a spoon.
- Chill in the refrigerator then remove the spheres from the mold. It only takes about 10 minutes to chill until they are hardened.
- Decorate the tops with drizzled chocolate and chocolate chips. Melt additional chocolate chips in the microwave. Then spoon the chocolate into a baggie or piping bag. Drizzle one half of the sphere in chocolate. Add mini chocolate chips or marshmallows on top.
- Fill the molds with hot cocoa, marshmallows and other add-ins.
- Seal the two pieces of chocolate together. Warm a small plate in the microwave. Then, lay the decorated half sphere on the plate for a few seconds while the edges melt. Connect with the filled half sphere.
To make hot cocoa: Set a hot cocoa ball into the bottom of a mug and pour 6 ounces of hot milk or water over the top until the shell is melted, releasing the hot cocoa powder and fillings. Stir with a spoon until emulsified.
- Use good quality chocolate. We do not recommend using candy melts as the texture and flavor is very different than chocolate.
- Use a silicone mold. Not an acrylic mold. A silicone mold is so much easier to use and is less expensive.
- Use two thin layers of chocolate. You don’t want the chocolate to be too thick or too fragile. To ensure the best thickness so that the balls melt properly, I paint two thin layers of chocolate onto the sides of the mold. If they are too thin, they will be fragile and might break easily. If they are too thick, they will not melt as quickly.
Once the balls are finished, they do not need to be stored in the refrigerator. They will last at room temperature in a zipped top bag or sealed container for up to 2 weeks.
If you’re a chocolate lover looking for a fun treat, then these hot chocolate balls are perfect for you. Make a batch to share or keep them to yourself.
More Chocolate Recipes
- Chocolate Macarons
- Flourless Chocolate Cake
- Chocolate Peppermint Fudge
- Homemade Hot Chocolate – in the Instant Pot, Slow Cooker or Stovetop
Did you make this recipe? Click here to leave a review.
Easy Hot Chocolate Balls
- You will need one half sphere silicone mold.
- 2 1/4 cups semisweet chocolate chips, divided
- 2 tablespoons multi colored mini chocolate chips, or regular mini chocolate chips
- 6 tablespoons hot cocoa mix
- 1 cup mini marshmallows, or other mix-ins
- In a small, microwave safe bowl, melt 2 cups semisweet chocolate chips in 30 second increments, stirring in between. This should take 60 to 90 seconds. Alternatively, you can melt the chocolate in a double boiler on the stove.
- Once melted, spoon about 2 tablespoons into each half sphere and using a pastry brush or the back of a spoon, spread the chocolate around the whole sphere making sure the edges are well coated so that they are not fragile.
- Let the chocolate set in the fridge or freezer until hardened, about 10 minutes. Once set, gently remove from the molds.
- Lay 6 half spheres on a plate, with the edges face down. In a small, microwave safe bowl, melt ¼ c semi sweet chocolate chips in 30 second increments, stirring in between. This should take 30 to 60 seconds.
- Once melted, spoon into a baggie or piping bag. Snip a small corner in the bag. Drizzle one half sphere with melted chocolate. Place several mini, multicolored chocolate chips on top of the drizzle before it hardens. Repeat with 5 more half spheres.
- Let set in the fridge or freezer for 3 to 5 minutes until hardened.
- Lay the 6 remaining, plain half spheres face up on a plate. Spoon 1 tablespoon of the hot cocoa mix into each half sphere. Top with several mini marshmallows or other mix-ins.
- Warm a small, microwave safe plate in the microwave for 45 to 60 seconds. Lay decorated, empty half sphere on the plate for a couple seconds until it begins to melt the edges. This creates an even edge and a sort of glue. Connect with the corresponding, filled half sphere so that the edges meet. Repeat with the remaining 5 spheres until they are all completed. Serve and enjoy!
- To make hot cocoa – set hot cocoa ball in the bottom of a mug and pour 6 oz of hot milk or water over top until the shell has melted in, releasing the hot cocoa powder, cosmic brownie and mini marshmallows. Stir with a spoon until emulsified.