Peppermint fudge is an easy holiday dessert made with only 15 minutes of prep time! This easy homemade fudge recipe is irresistible and made with easy to find ingredients from your pantry.
Peppermint fudge recipe
Homemade fudge is a treat that’s hard to resist! This peppermint fudge recipe is the perfect treat for a holiday party or cookie swap. The rich, silky, chocolatey taste just melts in your mouth. The peppermint extract and crushed candy canes give it the perfect flavor for the holidays!
How to make peppermint fudge
This peppermint fudge recipe is simple to make. No candy thermometer is needed!
- First, combine marshmallow creme, sugar, evaporated milk, butter and salt in a medium large saucepan. Bring the mixture to a boil over medium heat and cook for five minutes. Make sure to stir constantly so nothing sticks to the bottom of the pan and burns. We use a rubber spoon or spatula to stir.
- Next, remove the pan from the heat and pour in the chocolate chips. Stir until everything in the pan is melted and combined. Add the peppermint and vanilla extract and stir some more.
- Pour the mixture into the 8×8 pan lined with aluminum foil and then sprinkle the crushed peppermint or candy canes over the fudge. Gently press the peppermint into the fudge to set. Chill in the refrigerator for at least two hours. Cut into squares and enjoy!
Tips for making homemade fudge
- Make sure to line your baking pan with tin foil. It comes out easily once set and doesn’t stick to the pan!
- Be patient when cooling. Don’t cut or serve before the fudge is completely set. Make sure to refrigerate for at least two hours to make sure it’s set.
- Stir with a silicone spatula. It’s great at making sure you can get all the pieces off the bottom of the pan when stirring.
- To keep fudge fresh, wrap with plastic cling wrap or store in an airtight container. Refrigerate if needed. If you need to stack the fudge in a container, make sure to place a sheet of wax paper in between to keep the fudge from sticking together.
- Follow the recipe step by step and use the correct measurements.
- You can omit the peppermint extract and crushed candy canes to make regular chocolate fudge.
This fudge is creamy and irresistible, especially during the holiday season! The sweet, silky texture is the perfect treat for holiday gifts for friends and family, or an easy treat to bring to a cookie swap. Make a batch ahead of time and enjoy all season long!
We usually package up this fudge on a plate with our Easy Peanut Butter Cookies, Chocolate Crinkle Cookies, Homemade Raffaello and Royal Iced Sugar Cookies. This combination creates a holiday sampler or edible gift for friends and family.
Chocolate Peppermint Fudge
- 7 ounces marshmallow creme, (1 jar)
- 1 1/2 cups sugar
- 2/3 cup evaporated milk
- 1/4 cup unsalted butter, (4 tablespoons)
- 1/4 teaspoon salt
- 2 cups milk chocolate chips
- 1 cup semisweet chocolate chips
- 1/2 teaspoon vanilla extract
- 1/2 teaspoon peppermint extract
- 1/3 cup crushed peppermint, (candy canes)
- Line an 8x8 square pan with aluminium foil. Set aside.
- In a large saucepan over medium heat, combine marshmallow creme, sugar, evaporated milk, butter and salt. Bring to a full boil, and cook for 5 minutes, stirring constantly.
- Remove from heat and pour in semisweet chocolate chips and milk chocolate chips. Stir until chocolate is melted and mixture is smooth. Add vanilla and peppermint extract and stir. Pour into prepared pan. Sprinkle crushed peppermint over fudge and gently press down to set. Chill in refrigerator for 2 hours, or until firm.
- Package the fudge in small boxes to give as edible holiday gifts.
- The fudge will keep in the refrigerator for up to 2 weeks.