Double chocolate chip peppermint cookies are packed with candy cane bits and chocolate chips. They are the perfect Christmas cookie!
It’s my favorite time of year—baking season! Haley here from If You Give a Blonde a Kitchen and I am so excited for Christmas and to share this recipe for double chocolate chip peppermint cookies.
When the holidays arrive, the baking list seems endless and it’s hard to choose what you want to bake first! I recommend nudging these cookies to the top of your list. They are sooo good.
Something about the peppermint and chocolate combo is seriously addicting. When the two are together I can barely resist the temptation.
For these cookies I used my double chocolate chip cookie recipe and swapped out vanilla extract for peppermint. With a sprinkle of crushed candy canes on top, they become perfect for Christmas!
To make the cookies I rolled a generous tablespoon of dough into a ball and press the top into crushed candy cane bits.
Putting the candy cane on the cookies before they bake allows the bits to adhere to the cookies and soften a bit in the oven. The peppermint flavor also becomes infused into the cookies as the cookies bake!
As with most chocolate cookies I bake, I am generous with my chocolate chips. I like the big chunky chips because they create gooey, melted bites in the cookies.
This recipe also doubles well if you’re baking for a crowd. You can even store the dough in the freezer a month or two in advance to save time once the holidays arrive!
I love the idea of gifting these double chocolate chip peppermint cookies too. They taste so good, the cookies would put a smile on anyone’s face!
Double Chocolate Chip Peppermint Cookies
- 1 1/4 cups all-purpose flour (156 g)
- 1/3 cup unsweetened cocoa powder (33 g)
- 1/2 teaspoon baking powder
- 1/2 teaspoon baking soda
- 1/2 teaspoon instant espresso optional
- 1/4 teaspoon coarse salt
- 1/2 cup cold unsalted butter, cubed (113 g or 1 stick)
- 3/4 cup sugar (150 g )
- 1 large egg
- 1/4 teaspoon peppermint extract
- 1 cup semi-sweet chocolate chips
- 12 mini candy canes or three regular sized candy canes, crushed
- Preheat the oven to 350° F and line cookie sheets with parchment paper.
- In a medium bowl, whisk together flour, cocoa powder, baking powder, baking soda, espresso and salt. Set aside.
- In the bowl with a stand mixer (or using a hand mixer), combine the butter and sugar. Beat on medium-high speed until light and fluffy, 2 to 3 minutes. Add the egg and peppermint extract. Beat until combined, 1 minute. Scraping down the side of the bowl as needed.
- With the mixer on low, slowly add the flour mixture and stir until just incorporated. Stir in the chocolate chips.
- Scoop a heaping tablespoon of dough, roll into a ball. Slightly flatten the ball and press the top of the dough into crushed candy cane bits. Repeat with remaining dough and place on prepared cookie sheet 1 1/2 inches apart.
Bake 10 to 12 minutes, until edges are firm and the center is still soft. Let cool on the cookie sheets 5 to 10 minutes, then transfer to a wire rack to cool completely.
- Store in an airtight container for up to one week.
Nutrition InformationCalories: 139, Fat: 7g, Saturated Fat: 4g, Cholesterol: 17mg, Sodium: 51mg, Potassium: 78mg, Carbohydrates: 18g, Fiber: 1g, Sugar: 10g, Protein: 1g, Vitamin A: 2.6%, Calcium: 1.3%, Iron: 5.4%
*Nutritional information is an estimate. Please consult a doctor or nutritionist for the most accurate nutritional info.
More recipes from If You Give a Blonde a Kitchen