This easy Instant Pot Carrot Soup with coconut milk is packed with nutrients and flavor. It’s great as a side dish or can be enjoyed as the main meal! Stove top and slow cooker cooking instructions are also included.
Using a pressure cooker to make soup is a game changer. Not only does it cook quickly, but it also ensures that all the ingredients are cooked together at once which helps enhance the flavor. All of the ingredients are cooked in one pot making it simple and easy enough for a weeknight.
This easy carrot ginger soup recipe is the perfect blend of flavors including the sweet flavor of carrots with the spice of fresh ginger. It uses coconut milk to blend it into a velvety comforting soup that everyone will enjoy with a side salad or sandwich or on its own for lunch or dinner.
This recipe is naturally plant based and gluten free so it’s the perfect healthy meal!
Why You’ll Love This Recipe
- This creamy carrot soup with coconut milk has a great balance of sweetness and spice coming from the naturally sweet flavor of carrots and the spice of freshly grated ginger.
- It uses simple ingredients that can be found in any grocery store making it easy for weeknight dinners.
- Carrots are typically inexpensive making this a friendly meal.
- You can choose to make this soup spicy by adding sriracha, cayenne pepper or red chili flakes to the mix.
- This soup freezes well which makes it a great dinner to batch cook or thaw for later.
Ingredients You Need
- Carrots – The star vegetable, carrots add a naturally sweet flavor and are full of nutrients and antioxidants.
- Garlic & Onion – These aromatic vegetables infuse the carrot ginger soup with garlic and onion flavor.
- Fresh Ginger – Freshly grated ginger pairs well and adds a hint of freshness.
- Coconut Oil – This is a great oil to cook your garlic, onion and ginger in as it helps release the flavors and adds a light coconut flavor. You can substitute with olive oil, if desired.
- Coriander & Cumin – These two spices pair together beautifully to give this soup a savory layer of flavor.
- Salt & Pepper – Helps balance out the savory and sweet flavors in the soup.
- Full-Fat Coconut Milk – Full fat is best to create the creamy texture and best flavor. If you substitute with light coconut milk, the soup may be less creamy.
- Vegetable Broth – You can substitute with chicken broth, if needed.
- Lime Juice – Adds a pop of freshness and acidity that pairs well with cumin and coriander spice.
- Fresh Cilantro – Adds flavor and a pop of color as a garnish.
Equipment Needed: This recipe is prepared in an Instant Pot or pressure cooker. The 6-quart size is preferred. However, stove top and slow cooker instructions are provided below.
How to Make Instant Pot Carrot Soup
- Cook the onion and spices – First, add coconut oil to the Instant Pot and press SAUTE. Once hot, add the onions. Cook until softened, about 2 to 3 minutes. Add the garlic, ginger, coriander and cumin. Continue cooking for an additional minute until fragrant, then turn off the Instant Pot.
- Add other ingredients – Next, add in the peeled and chopped carrots along with the coconut milk, salt, pepper and vegetable broth. Stir to combine.
- Pressure cook the carrot soup – Secure the lid making sure the valve is turned to the sealing position. Set the Instant Pot to 15 minutes on manual HIGH pressure. Once done cooking, manually release the pressure (quick release) by turning the dial to the “venting” position to release steam.
- Blend the soup and serve – Remove the lid and transfer the mixture to a high-speed blender, blending in batches until smooth. Be CAREFUL as the soup is hot. Alternatively, use an immersion blender to puree the soup directly in the Instant Pot. Pour the soup back into the insert of the Instant Pot and stir in the lime juice. Adjust salt and pepper to taste. Ladle into bowls and garnish with fresh cilantro to serve while hot.
Stovetop Soup Instructions
Don’t have an Instant Pot? Not a problem! Follow these simple steps below to make carrot coconut soup right on your stovetop:
- Saute the onion and carrots in coconut oil in a pan on the stovetop until the carrots are softened, about 10 to 20 minutes. Add the garlic, ginger, coriander and cumin and cook for one additional minute.
- Stir in the coconut milk, vegetable broth, salt and pepper. Bring to a boil, reduce heat and simmer 40 minutes.
- Let the soup cool slightly, then blend in batches until soup is smooth and creamy. Return to saucepan, add lime juice, thin water as desired and season with salt and pepper.
Slow Cooker Soup Instructions
You can easily make carrot soup in your slow cooker or crockpot following these simple steps:
- Saute the garlic, onion, ginger and spices in coconut oil in a pan on the stovetop.
- Add the sautéed vegetables to the slow cooker along with carrots, vegetable stock, salt and pepper.
- Slow cook on high for 3 to 4 hours or on low for 6 to 7 hours. Stir in canned coconut milk then blend in batches until soup in smooth and creamy. Return to slow cooker, stir in lime juice, garnish with cilantro and serve hot.
- Be careful when blending. Blending hot soup can be dangerous! Make sure you do not overfill the blender. Add a towel over the top before blending to prevent splatter.
- Do not skip the saute step as it is what helps the flavors release and become stronger in the soup. A soup that does not have the garlic, ginger and onion sautéed first may be bland in flavor.
- Chop carrots into the same size. This will ensure they cook evenly and quickly.
- Use a box grater or Microplane to grate the ginger quickly and easily.
- Serve it warm or cold! This Instant Pot carrot soup tastes great warm on a winter evening or cold during the summertime. It tastes great both ways!
- Add fresh lemongrass or food-grade lemongrass oil for a bright and fresh flavor.
- Give the soup some spice by adding in sriracha, cayenne pepper or garnish the finished bowls of soup with a sprinkling of red chili flakes or diced jalapeños.
- Turn this bowl of deliciousness into curried carrot soup by adding your favorite dry curry powder or seasoning.
- Top with toasted pumpkin seeds for a crunchy texture and a dose of healthy fats.
- Add some mint and/or basil to the top for a bright herb flavor that pairs well with carrots, coconut and ginger.
- Add sour cream or a dollop of coconut yogurt on top before serving.
This Instant Pot Carrot Soup is naturally vegan and so delicious. It’s the perfect soup for cold winter nights and is a great way to use up carrots. Try this instant pot recipe and let us know what you think!
Did you make this Instant Pot Carrot Soup recipe? Leave a recipe rating and review below.
Instant Pot Carrot Soup
- 1 tablespoon coconut oil
- 1 small yellow onion, chopped
- 2 cloves garlic, minced
- 1-inch piece fresh ginger, minced or grated
- 1 teaspoon coriander
- 1/2 teaspoon cumin
- 1 pound medium carrots, peeled and coarsely chopped (about 4-6 carrots)
- 1 teaspoon kosher salt
- 1/2 teaspoon freshly ground black pepper
- 14 ounces full-fat coconut milk, (1 can)
- 1 1/2 cups vegetable broth
- Juice of 1/2 lime
- Freshly chopped cilantro for garnish
- Add coconut oil to Instant Pot on Saute mode. Once hot, add the onions. Cook until softened, about 2 to 3 minutes.
- Add the garlic, ginger, coriander and cumin. Continue cooking for an additional minute until fragrant, then turn off the Instant Pot.
- Place the carrots, salt, pepper, coconut milk and broth in the Instant Pot. Stir to combine then secure the lid making sure the vent is turned to the "sealing" position.
- Set the Instant Pot to 15 minutes on manual HIGH pressure.
- Once done cooking, manually release the pressure by turning the dial to the "venting" position to release steam.
- Remove the lid and transfer the mixture to a high-speed blender in batches blending until smooth. Alternatively, use an immersion blender to puree the soup directly in the Instant Pot.
- Pour the soup back into the insert of the Instant Pot and stir in the lime juice. Adjust salt and pepper to taste.
- Ladle into bowls and garnish with fresh cilantro to serve.