Simple and healthy, these Crispy Baked Sweet Potato Fries are an easy side dish, appetizer or snack. Serve them as a side to burgers and sandwiches or enjoy with your favorite dipping sauce.
These fries are my go-to when I’m craving something salty and want a healthier alternative to french fries.
I love eating these as a side dish to pretty much anything – burgers, sandwiches, any grilled protein, salad – but they’re also pretty delectable on their own. I can easily eat a basket of these baked sweet potato fries on their own, just dipped in ketchup, honey mustard or any other dipping sauce!
Why You’ll Love Them
Sweet potatoes have a surprising number of health benefits and are by far a much healthier option than white potatoes.
Sweet potatoes are high in fiber, vitamins and minerals. One cup of sweet potato has 4 grams of protein and over 6 grams of fiber! (Source) They are also high in antioxidants, which is important for your health in so many ways, and support a healthy gut and brain.
No matter the type of fry, I like them crispy. No mushy fries for me please! And since we’re focusing on healthy, let’s skip the deep-frying too.
That’s why these fries are my favorite – they’re crispy and baked, with just a light coat of olive oil.
A handful of seasonings and you’ve got yourself an absolutely delicious side dish or snack.
What You’ll Need
- Sweet Potatoes – Peeled and unpeeled sweet potatoes work for this recipe. It’s completely up to your preference!
- Avocado Oil – You can also substitute olive oil.
- Cornstarch – The secret to extra crisp fries!
- Salt – Sea salt is great for extra flavor.
- Garlic Powder – A staple seasoning that pairs well with everything.
- Italian Seasoning – My favorite seasoning mix for flavorful sweet potato fries.
- Black Pepper – Just a small amount to round other the flavor profile.
How To Make Sweet Potato Fries
1. Slice the sweet potatoes into sticks as evenly as possible, 1/4 to 1/2 inch wide and 3 inches long. Place them in a bowl of cold water and allow to soak for at least 30 minutes.
2. When ready to bake, preheat the oven to 425 degrees Fahrenheit. Line a baking sheet with parchment paper and place in the oven to heat while you season the potatoes.
3. Lay the fries on a clean kitchen towel and blot dry. Place them in a large plastic zipper bag and add the cornstarch, shaking well to coat.
4. Mix the spices, salt, and pepper in a small bowl.
5. Carefully remove the baking sheet from the oven and place it on the stovetop. Spread the fries out in an even layer on the baking sheet, then drizzle with oil.
6. Sprinkle the seasoning mix on the fries and toss to coat.
7. Bake until brown and crisp on the bottom, about 15 minutes, then flip and cook until the other side is crisp, about 10 minutes. Serve hot.
Easy Variation Ideas
If you would like sweeter fries, substitute the garlic and paprika for equal amounts of cinnamon and nutmeg, with 1 teaspoon of granulated or brown sugar.
- If you enjoy spice, add in some cayenne pepper for a little kick.
- Sprinkle with a bit of parmesan at the end for a cheesy twist.
Tips for Success
- Be sure to cut your sweet potato into thin strips. Thick cut fries will never get as crispy as thin fries.
- Cornstarch is essential! Though it seems like an extra step, tossing the fries in cornstarch is super important to getting a crisp outside on your fry.
- Avoid overcrowding on the pan. If necessary, divide the fries on to two pans as they should not be touching.
- Flip the fries halfway through the baking process. This allows all sides to crisp evenly. If you’re baking multiple pans at a time, use this time to switch the pans and move the bottom one to the top and vice versa.
Baked sweet potato fries are an easy, healthy side dish to pretty much any meal. Substitute them in the place of regular fries for any sandwiches, wraps or burgers.
Or just enjoy these baked fries on their own for an afternoon snack!
How to Store and Reheat Leftovers
These fries do not reheat well – at least if you want them to remain crispy. As much as I would love to eat these for days, I’ve accepted that the best way to eat these fries is straight out of the oven and tend to only make as much as I’ll be eating for that meal.
If you do have extra, you can store them in an airtight container in the fridge for a few days and reheat in the oven or microwave. They’ll taste great, but won’t be crispy.
Can I freeze sweet potato fries?
Yes, you can freeze these baked sweet potato fries! Allow them to cool completely before freezing in freezer bags.
For crispiness, I’ve had best results freezing them in a single layer on a baking sheet first, before transferring to a freezer bag.
When reheating, just pop the frozen fries on a baking sheet and baking at 450 degrees Fahrenheit for 20 to 25 minutes.
More Sweet Potato Recipes
- Southern Sweet Potato Pie
- Sweet Potato Toast
- Brown Butter and Rosemary Mashed Sweet Potatoes
- Sweet Potato and Black Bean Quinoa Bowls
Did you make this recipe? Click here to leave a review.
Crispy Baked Sweet Potato Fries
- 1 pound sweet potatoes , (3-4 potatoes)
- 2 tablespoons avocado oil, or olive oil
- 2 teaspoons cornstarch
- 1/2 teaspoon salt
- 1/2 teaspoon garlic powder
- 1/2 teaspoon Italian seasoning
- 1/4 teaspoon black pepper
- Slice the sweet potatoes into sticks as evenly as possible, 1/4 to 1/2 inch wide and 3 inches long. Place them in a bowl of cold water and allow to soak for at least 30 minutes.
- When ready to bake, preheat the oven to 425 degrees Fahrenheit. Line a baking sheet with parchment paper and place in the oven to heat while you season the potatoes.
- Lay the fries on a clean kitchen towel and blot dry. Place them in a large plastic zipper bag and add the cornstarch, shaking well to coat.
- Mix the spices, salt, and pepper in a small bowl.
- Carefully remove the baking sheet from the oven and place it on the stovetop.Spread the fries out in an even layer on the baking sheet, then drizzle with oil.
- Sprinkle the seasoning mix on the fries and toss to coat.
- Bake until brown and crisp on the bottom, about 15 minutes, then flip and cook until the other side is crisp, about 10 minutes. Serve hot.