Make this easy Sweet Potato Hash to create the perfect side dish for breakfast or dinner. This skillet recipe comes together in two easy steps in less than 30 minutes!
Sweet potatoes are always a good side dish because they cook easily on the stovetop or oven. You can enjoy them with any meal. This easy sweet potato hash is one of my favorite sweet potato recipes because it comes together easily and is packed with hearty nutrients and flavor.
Crispy, tender sweet potatoes combine with a few other hearty ingredients to create a savory dish everyone loves. You also have the option to add an egg to make this a more filling sweet breakfast hash recipe.
This recipe is great for everyone. It’s naturally Whole30, Paleo, Gluten Free, Vegetarian and Vegan. It’s made with wholesome vegetables and spices. Prep it ahead for an easy meal prep recipe.
Why You’ll Love This Recipe
- Everything cooks in one pan.
- It’s packed with hearty vegetables and flavor.
- You can enjoy this hash for any meal.
- This recipe is great for meal prep or make ahead.
- Sweet Potato – They are the foundation of this dish. You can use any type of sweet potato.
- Bell Peppers – You can use any color bell pepper. Red bell pepper tastes great in this dish too.
- Jalapeno – Added for a kick of heat. You can omit, if you want the dish to have less spice or flavor. Feel free to add more if you want the dish spicier.
- Onion – Red onion is preferred for the best flavor, but you can use any type of onion.
- Olive Oil – You can substitute with avocado oil.
- Sage – Fresh sage is best, but you can substitute with 1 teaspoon of dried sage.
- Garlic – Use fresh garlic for the best flavor.
A cast iron skillet works best but any type of large skillet will work.
How to Make Sweet Potato Hash
- Cook the sweet potato. Heat the olive oil in a large skillet over medium-high heat. Add the chopped sweet potato, cover and cook for 10 minutes. Covering the skillet helps to cook the sweet potatoes evenly.
- Stir. Make sure to stir the sweet potatoes occasionally while cooking.
- Add the other vegetables including the onion and peppers.
- Stir in the remaining ingredients – garlic, sage, salt and pepper. Cook for 5 to 7 minutes, until the vegetables are tender, making sure to stir occasionally to evenly cook the vegetables. The less you stir, the crispier the vegetables will be.
ADD AN EGG (OPTIONAL): You can add an egg to this dish for a heartier breakfast. To add an egg, create wells in the hash using a spoon or spatula. Crack an egg into each well, cover with a lid and cook until the eggs are done to your liking. Or layer it over other vegetables to create a Sweet Potato Breakfast Bowl.
Substitutions and Additions
- Add bacon or sausage. You can cook the bacon or sausage in the skillet first, then remove from the pan. Add the bacon or sausage back to the pan when all of the vegetables are cooked through.
- Use other vegetables. Kale, carrots and cabbage are good choices. Make sure to chop the vegetables small so that they will evenly.
- Add more flavor. Add a pinch of cumin or paprika for more flavor.
- Garnish. Add fresh herbs like parsley or green onions for garnish.
Sweet potatoes are versatile and go with a variety of meals. You can serve sweet potatoes for breakfast with eggs and bacon or as a side to lunch or dinner. Combine them with other fresh veggies, like peppers and onions for an easy side dish that can be served with any meal.
Yes, the skin of sweet potatoes are safe to eat. You can peel the sweet potatoes or leave the skin on for this recipe.
Yes, you can store the hash (without any eggs) in a freezer safe storage container in the freezer for up to 3 months. Thaw in the refrigerator overnight and reheat prior to serving.
Sweet potato hash tastes great on its own or served as a side. A few options for serving it as a side dish for breakfast or dinner are below.
- Ham and Spinach Frittata
- Spinach and Feta Quiche
- Easy Turkey Tenderloin
- Bunless Burger
- Watermelon Fruit Salad
Did you try this healthy and delicious sweet potato recipe? Leave a recipe rating and review below!
Sweet Potato Hash
- 3 tablespoons extra virgin olive oil
- 1 large sweet potato, peeled and diced
- 2 medium bell peppers, diced
- 1 jalapeno pepper, diced
- 1 small red onion, diced
- 3 cloves garlic, minced
- 1 tablespoon fresh sage, minced
- Kosher salt, to taste
- Black pepper, to taste
- Fresh parsley, for garnish
- In a large skillet set over medium-high heat, heat the olive oil. Add the diced sweet potato, cover, and cook for 10 minutes, stirring occasionally, until it begins to soften.
- Add the peppers, jalapeno, and onions to the skillet. Stir in the garlic and sage, season with salt and pepper, and cook for 5-7 minutes, stirring frequently, until the vegetables are tender.
great, this works for me, sweet potatoes are one of my favorite ingredients, so I was sold immediately, nice balance of flavors and other ingredients too, thank you!