This hearty Sweet Potato Smoothie is made with cooked sweet potato and a few other basic ingredients to create a delicious smoothie with warming flavors. It’s creamy and tastes like sweet potato pie in a glass!
Enjoy the best flavors of the season with a comforting smoothie. Combine sweet potato and traditional smoothie ingredients to create a sweet potato smoothie with a touch of cinnamon and sweetness. Even though it’s a cold drink, the flavor is warm and comforting. Satisfy your craving for pie with this naturally sweet smoothie.
Danae from Recipe Runner created this recipe and it’s one you will want to make again and again. Gather a few basic ingredients like almond butter, milk, banana and cinnamon. Add cooked sweet potato and a splash of maple syrup to create this creamy smoothie with naturally sweet flavor.
Why You’ll Love This Recipe
- This smoothie is naturally vegan, dairy free and gluten free.
- It comes together easily in less than 5 minutes.
- You can easily adapt the smoothie to make it your own. Boost nutrients or add flavor with additional ingredients.
- Kids and adults love this recipe.
Ingredients You Need
- Cooked Sweet Potato: Make sure the sweet potato is cooked. You can also use previously cooked frozen sweet potato.
- Frozen Banana: You can use a fresh banana if you don’t have frozen, but you will need to add a handful of ice to the blender with the other ingredients.
- Milk: Use any kind of milk.
- Almond Butter: You can substitute with any kind of nut butter.
- Maple Syrup: Adds a subtle sweetness, but you can omit, if desired.
- Cinnamon: The addition of this spice makes the smoothie taste just like sweet potato pie. Yum!
- Vanilla: Enhances the subtly sweet flavor of the other ingredients.
How to Make Sweet Potato Smoothie
- Add all of the ingredients for the smoothie to a blender. If you use a fresh banana, you will also need to add a small handful of ice.
- Pulse until smooth.
- Serve in a glass as a smoothie or add to a bowl and serve with additional fruit or toppings for a smoothie bowl.
Add more or less liquid to adjust the thickness of the smoothie. If you prefer a colder drink, add some ice.
Other Smoothie Additions
Enhance the nutrients and flavor of this sweet potato shake by adding your other favorite smoothie ingredients. Feel free to adapt and adjust the flavors each time you make this smoothie.
- Oats: Use raw oats to help thicken smoothies and add vitamins and minerals.
- Seeds: Chia, flaxseed and hemp are all great additions.
- Protein: Feel free to add a scoop of your favorite protein powder. You can also add a 1/4 cup of greek yogurt for more protein, if desired.
- Spinach: Always a great addition to smoothies because it adds nutrients without sacrificing flavor. Keep in mind if you add spinach, it will change the color of the smoothie.
Don’t let the fall season pass by without making this creamy sweet potato smoothie!
Sweet Potato Smoothie
- 1/2 cup unsweetened almond milk , or milk of choice
- 1/2 cup cooked chopped sweet potato
- 1/2 of a frozen banana
- 1 tablespoon almond butter
- 1 teaspoon maple syrup
- 1/2 teaspoon ground cinnamon
- 1/2 teaspoon vanilla extract
- Place all of the ingredients in a blender and blend until smooth.
Other Fall Smoothie Recipes
This post was originally published in October 2016. It was updated and republished with new process photos and tips in September 2021.
Um… YES PLEASE! This was absolutely yummy. A lovely alternative to all the pumpkin spice flavors that we have at this time of year. So so good!
Such a delicious drink for fall and the perfect use for leftover sweet potato.
Very good! Never thought of putting sweet potato into a smoothie, but it’s delicious!
Never thought that this could be so delicious, Danae! Love this recipe!