Homemade chicken and dumpling soup cooks in the Instant Pot to make dinner easy! This recipe is lightened up to create the perfect cozy meal.
Chicken and Dumpling is my favorite comfort soup. It’s warm, creamy, and packed with hearty chicken and vegetables. It’s the perfect soup to bring to a friend or enjoy on a cold day.
Making a homemade version of this recipe is easier than you think. This recipe uses store bought buttermilk biscuits and everything cooks in your pressure cooker or Instant Pot.
Cooking Chicken and Dumplings in the Instant Pot
When cooking in an Instant Pot, its good to have all ingredients prepped and ready before cooking. Since this cooks quickly in a pressure cooker, it makes it easier to have everything prepped beforehand.
Using refrigerated biscuits for dumplings
We use refrigerated canned buttermilk biscuits that you can purchase at your local grocery store, however homemade biscuit dough would work too.
Flatten out the biscuits and cut each into 8 wedges each.
- Prep all of your ingredients in advance before you start cooking. This recipe moves fast so it’s helpful to have everything prepped.
- You can save more time at dinner by chopping vegetables and chicken up to a few days in advance.
- Thicken up chicken and dumplings with flour. You can substitute the flour for any other thickening agent (like cornstarch or arrowroot powder) if needed.
- If using homemade biscuits from scratch, shape or cut them into 1 to 2 inch pieces of dough (about 1 1/2 tablespoons) before cooking.
- You can use boneless chicken thighs instead of chicken breasts, if desired.
- Storage: Store in an airtight container in the refrigerator for up to 4 days. Reheat on the stove over low heat or in the microwave. Add a small amount of chicken broth, if desired to loosen a bit.
- Freezer storage: You can freeze in an airtight container in the refrigerator for up to 3 months. Thaw in the refrigerator overnight before reheating, adding extra liquid if needed.
I love making this chicken stew to warm up on cold days. It’s the perfect comfort food but with a healthier twist. Load up on hearty vegetables and savor the warm doughy dumplings. Try this recipe, everyone will love it!
Other Creamy Soup Recipes
Instant Pot Chicken and Dumplings
- 8 refrigerated buttermilk biscuits
- 1 tablespoon extra virgin olive oil
- 1 medium yellow onion, chopped
- 2 carrots, peeled and chopped
- 2 stalks celery, chopped
- 1/2 teaspoon salt, to taste
- 1/2 teaspoon ground pepper, to taste
- 1/3 cup all-purpose flour
- 5 cups chicken broth
- 2 teaspoons Italian seasoning
- 2 teaspoons poultry seasoning
- 2 bay leaves
- 2 boneless skinless chicken breasts, chopped into 1-inch pieces
- 3/4 cup frozen peas
- 2 tablespoons fresh parsley , for garnish
- Flatten out biscuits and cut each into 8 inch wedges; set aside. Turn your Instant Pot to the saute setting.
- Add oil when Pot reads Hot. Add the onion, carrots and celery. Season with salt and pepper and saute for 3 minutes, stirring frequently, until soft and translucent.
- Whisk in the flour and cook for 1 minute. add 1 cup of the chicken broth and whisk until all of the flour has absorbed into the liquid. Press cancel. Stir in the Italian seasoning, poultry seasoning, bay leaves and remaining broth. Add the chicken and biscuits, breaking apart as needed.
- Close the lid, press the Soup setting and set the timer to 7 minutes, allowing a natural release. Carefully unlock and remove the lid.
- Set the Instant Pot to saute, add peas and stir. Taste and adjust seasoning as necessary. Cook for 2 more minutes until the peas are cooked. Press cancel. Garnish with fresh parsley, if desired.
- Chicken: You can use boneless chicken thighs instead of chicken breasts, if desired.
- Flour: You can use cornstarch or other thickener instead of flour.
- Homemade biscuits: If using homemade biscuits, shape or cut them into 1 to 2-inch pieces of dough (about 1 1/2 tablespoons) before cooking.
- Store the chicken and dumplings in an airtight container in the refrigerator for up to 4 days. Reheat on the stove over low heat or in the microwave. Add a small amount of chicken broth, if desired to loosen a bit.
- You can freeze in an airtight container in the refrigerator for up to 3 months. Thaw in the refrigerator overnight before reheating, adding extra liquid if needed.