Thank you to organic girl for sponsoring this post!
Spinach Lasagna Soup is your favorite comfort food served in a bowl and topped with cheesy goodness. Made with fresh spinach, tomatoes, Italian sausage, lasagna, herbs and more, this soup is perfect for the entire family!
Comfort food season is here! For everyone here in Florida that means we can open our windows, grab a light sweater and enjoy the beautiful fall weather. In other parts of the country, it means slipping on your boots, heading outside to enjoy the fall foliage or heating up your favorite soup. Spinach Lasagna Soup is made with the same flavors as your standard lasagna, but it is simmered on the stove with chicken or vegetable broth to create a warm and comforting bowl of goodness. Add a scoop of basil and mozzarella ricotta and you have the perfect meal.
I am very fortunate to partner with brands that I love especially when it means I can add fresh organicgirl greens to every meal. Greens are versatile and add flavor and nutrients. They cook relatively quickly too so you can even add a handful of greens at the last minute. I love adding a few large handfuls of baby spinach to lasagna soup.
The last and final comment from my husband after he ate this soup was “if I had to rank this soup it would be off the charts.” Coming from someone who claims they don’t like soup or sausage, I would say that is pretty good. Best of all, this soup reheats well and tastes even better as leftovers. Go ahead, grab some fresh greens, put on your light sweater and enjoy a warm comforting bowl of spinach lasagna soup!
Spinach Lasagna Soup
- 1 tablespoon extra virgin olive oil
- ½ yellow onion diced
- 2 garlic cloves minced
- 1 pound hot or sweet Italian sausage casings removed*
- 4 cups chicken or vegetable broth
- 14.5 ounce can of diced tomatoes
- 14.5 oz ounce can of crushed tomatoes
- 2 tablespoons tomato paste
- 1 teaspoon dried basil
- 1 teaspoon dried oregano
- 1/2 teaspoon dried thyme
- 1/2 teaspoon dried parsley
- 1/4 teaspoon dried rosemary
- 8 lasagna noodles broken into 2-inch long pieces
- 3 ounces organicgirl baby spinach
- 1/4 cup heavy cream**
- 8 ounces ricotta cheese
- 1 cup shredded mozzarella cheese
- 1/3 cup finely shredded parmesan cheese
- 3 tablespoons freshly chopped basil
- In a large saucepan over medium-high heat, sauté olive oil, onions and garlic until soft, about 1 to 2 minutes. Add sausage and stir to break up. Cook until browned, about 5 minutes. Drain fat from sausage, as desired. Add chicken or vegetable broth, diced tomatoes, crushed tomatoes, tomato paste, basil, oregano, thyme, parsley and rosemary. Bring to a boil, then reduce heat to medium-low, cover and simmer for 20 minutes.
- Meanwhile, cook lasagna noodles according to the directions on package. Add cooked pasta, spinach and heavy cream to soup. Stir until combined then remove from heat.
- In a medium bowl, stir together ricotta cheese, mozzarella cheese, parmesan cheese and fresh basil. Serve soup in bowls and top with a scoop of the cheese mixture. Enjoy!
- You can use lean ground beef in large chunks instead of sausage
- You can omit the heavy cream for a lighter soup
Nutrition InformationCalories: 634, Fat: 41g, Saturated Fat: 17g, Cholesterol: 109mg, Sodium: 1517mg, Potassium: 743mg, Carbohydrates: 36g, Fiber: 2g, Sugar: 4g, Protein: 28g, Vitamin A: 2030%, Vitamin C: 25.2%, Calcium: 323%, Iron: 3.6%
*Nutritional information is an estimate. Please consult a doctor or nutritionist for the most accurate nutritional info.
This post is sponsored by organicgirl. As always, all opinions are my own.