Slow Cooker Chicken Enchilada Soup is a warm and comforting meal made in the crockpot! The entire meal requires less than 15 minutes of prep. Top it with your favorite toppings to create a delicious soup that everyone loves.
Out of all the meals we cook, this Slow Cooker Chicken Enchilada Soup makes a regular appearance at our dinner table during the cooler months. We love to rotate dinner between this enchilada soup and Slow Cooker Chicken Tacos. This soup is the perfect meal because it is warm, comforting and packed with flavor.
Perfect for weeknights or cool fall days, slow cooker chicken enchilada soup is loaded with delicious vegetables. Fill your crockpot, let dinner cook for you and come home to a meal that is ready to be enjoyed.
Slow cooker chicken enchilada soup recipe
This recipe requires a few simple steps.
- First, prepare the enchilada sauce mixture. Melt the butter in a saucepan and add flour. Stir until smooth. Remove from the heat and add chicken broth and milk. Whisk until smooth. Bring the sauce to a boil, cook and stir constantly until the mixture thickens. Remove the sauce mixture from the heat and add enchilada sauce, additional milk and broth.
- Next, add all of the ingredients to the slow cooker. Add the beans, tomatoes, corn, onion and bell pepper to the bottom of the pan. Place the chicken on top and pour the sauce over all of the ingredients.
- Cook covered on low for 6 to 8 hours or on high heat for 3 to 4 hours. When the chicken is cooked through, remove the chicken, shred into bite sized pieces and add back to the soup.
This easy dinner tastes better than anything store bought. The combination of ingredients creates the perfect hearty soup recipe.
How do you thicken chicken enchilada soup?
The sauce that you pour over the ingredients helps thicken the crockpot enchilada soup. Do not skip the step of making the sauce. The flour is necessary to help thicken the soup and cooking it over low heat helps thicken the sauce. If you want even thicker sauce, add an additional tablespoon of flour.
Enchilada Soup Toppings
Serve the soup with some of your favorite enchilada toppings. We love serving it with Homemade Baked Tortilla Chips, chopped avocado, fresh cilantro, sliced jalapeno peppers and more.
The best thing about this slow cooker chicken enchilada soup is that it tastes even better as leftovers. We love making a batch of this soup to reheat for lunch or dinner throughout the week. Kids and adults love it and it’s great for game day parties, holiday dinners and more.
Try it and let us know what you think!
Slow Cooker Chicken Enchilada Soup
- 2 tablespoons butter
- 2 tablespoons flour
- 1 cup chicken broth
- 1 cup milk
- 1 10 ounce can of enchilada sauce
- 1 15 ounce can black beans, rinsed and drained
- 1 14.5 ounce can of diced tomatoes
- 1 1/2 cups frozen corn
- ½ cup onion chopped
- 1 small bell pepper diced
- 2 whole chicken breasts
- Monterrey Jack cheese sour cream, avocado, tortilla chips, as desired
- In a saucepan over medium-low heat, melt butter. Add flour and stir until smooth and bubbly. Remove from heat; slowly add ½ cup chicken broth and ½ cup milk. Whisk to keep smooth. Return to heat. Bring sauce to a gentle boil; cook, stirring constantly, until it thickens. Remove from heat. Add enchilada sauce, remaining milk and remaining broth to heated broth mixture. Whisk until smooth. Set aside.
- In a slow cooker, combine drained beans, tomatoes, corn, onion, and bell pepper. Place the chicken breasts on top of the mixture. Pour sauce mixture over ingredients in cooker. Cover; cook on low heat for 6 to 8 hours or on high heat for 3 to 4 hours. When the chicken is cooked through, remove chicken and cut or shred into bite-sized pieces. Add chicken back into the soup and mix well. Top with cheese, sour cream, avocado or tortilla chips, as desired.
- Nutritional information does not include additional toppings.
- Store the soup in the refrigerator for up to 3 days, or freeze for up to 3 months.
Nutrition InformationCalories: 308, Fat: 11g, Saturated Fat: 5g, Cholesterol: 93mg, Sodium: 431mg, Potassium: 809mg, Carbohydrates: 24g, Fiber: 3g, Sugar: 5g, Protein: 29g, Vitamin A: 418%, Vitamin C: 35%, Calcium: 86%, Iron: 1%
*Nutritional information is an estimate. Please consult a doctor or nutritionist for the most accurate nutritional info.