This one pot Chicken Tortellini Soup with Spinach and Lemon is a quick and easy meal that the whole family will love. The citrus flavor gives the soup a refreshing kick that’s paired with tortellini and nutritious spinach. It’s perfect for busy families who are looking for a healthy and hearty dinner option in one pot that takes just 30 minutes to make!
This easy chicken tortellini soup recipe is the perfect comfort food. If you love soup, then you’re going to love this delicious recipe. It’s the perfect weeknight meal and even works great for meal prep.
Not only is this soup made with simple ingredients, it also comes together in just 30 minutes making it perfect for a weeknight dinner! Soup veggies are sautéed until soft before a rich chicken stock is added along with tortellini, chicken breast, fresh baby spinach, and lemon juice.
Serve this comforting soup when you need a little pick-me-up or when you’re just craving something warm and satisfying that’s packed with flavor.
Why You’ll Love This Recipe
- The entire soup takes just 30 minutes to make including prepping the soup veggies.
- It’s a one-pot soup that makes minimal dishes for cleanup saving you time.
- You can switch out the fresh or frozen tortellini to use whichever pasta you have on hand.
- You can use leftover shredded chicken or shred up a store-bought rotisserie chicken to save even more time.
Ingredients You’ll Need
- Olive Oil – Used to saute the vegetables to help soften them and release their flavor and moisture.
- Soup Vegetables – A mirepoix is made up of aromatic vegetables that create the base flavor for soup and include carrots, onions, celery, and garlic.
- Chicken Broth – Adds a rich chicken flavor and moisture to the soup.
- Cheese Tortellini – A type of pasta that is filled with cheese. You could also use any other kind of pasta you have on hand. Use fresh or frozen.
- Dried Thyme – Adds a subtle herb flavor to the soup that is bright and citrusy.
- Shredded Chicken Breast – Cooked chicken breast adds protein and a rich chicken flavor and texture to the dish.
- Baby Spinach – Adds a pop of color, freshness, and nutrition to the soup. You can substitute with fresh kale or other greens.
- Lemon Juice and Lemon Zest – Lemon juice and zest add a bright and refreshing citrus flavor to the soup.
- Salt & Pepper – Used to enhance all the layers of flavor in the soup. Season to your preference.
How to Make Chicken Tortellini Soup with Lemon and Spinach
- Cook the soup vegetables: Add olive oil to a large dutch oven or large pot over medium-high heat. Add the onions first and cook them for 3 minutes. Then, add the carrots, celery, and garlic to cook for an additional 3 minutes or until the vegetables have softened and released their flavor.
- Cook the tortellini: To the pot with the cooked vegetables, add the broth and thyme, and bring to a boil. Then add the tortellini and cook according to the package directions.
- Add the chicken and spinach: Just before the tortellini is cooked, add the shredded cooked chicken and baby spinach. Stir to combine for one minute. The vegetables should be tender at this point too.
- Add lemon and serve: Remove the soup from the heat, then add the lemon juice and lemon zest. Season with salt and pepper to taste. Serve while hot.
- Chop the soup vegetables evenly, into roughly the same size to ensure they cook evenly.
- Use a large pot. If you don’t have a dutch oven, you can use any large pot or saucepan.
- Adjust cook time of tortellini, if needed. The directions on tortellini will vary, be sure to check your package instructions in order to cook at the correct time and temperature.
- Save time. Use a pre-cooked rotisserie chicken and shred the meat to save time for an even quicker meal.
- Add different greens. Instead of spinach, use chopped kale or collard greens or a blend of your favorite greens.
- Add cooked diced ham to add a light and smoky flavor.
- Use another type of pasta. Swap tortellini for any other type of pasta your family likes.
- Omit the chicken. Leave the chicken out if you’d like to make this a vegetarian soup.
- To make a vegan version of this soup, use vegetable broth and omit the chicken. Add crumbled tofu or chickpeas to add protein and to add texture.
- Substitute for the lemon. If you don’t have lemon juice or zest on hand for this recipe, just substitute ½ teaspoon of dried thyme leaves and ¼ cup white wine to add a little acidity and flavor instead.
- Add a kick of spice with a pinch of crushed red pepper flakes to taste.
- Garnish with Parmesan cheese. Add more flavor and garnish with freshly grated Parmesan cheese.
Comforting soup is the perfect lunch or dinner during the cold winter months or when you need something soothing.
Other Chicken Soup Recipes
- Chicken Enchilada Soup
- Chicken and Wild Rice Soup
- Instant Pot Chicken Stew (Stove Top instructions included.)
- Instant Pot Chicken and Dumplings
Did you try this Chicken Tortellini Soup with Spinach and Lemon? Leave a recipe rating and review below.
Chicken Tortellini Soup with Spinach and Greens
- 1 tablespoon olive oil
- ½ cup yellow onion, chopped
- 2 cloves garlic, minced
- ¾ cup chopped carrots
- ½ cup chopped celery
- 5 cups low-sodium chicken broth
- 1 ½ teaspoons dried thyme
- 9 ounces tortellini, fresh or frozen
- 2 cooked chicken breasts, shredded
- 5 ounces baby spinach
- 1/4 cup freshly squeezed lemon juice
- 1 to 2 tablespoons lemon zest*
- salt and pepper, to taste
- In a large large dutch oven or stockpot, heat the olive oil over medium-high heat. Add the onions and cook until softened, about 3 minutes.
- Add the garlic, carrots and celery and cook for an additional 3 minutes. Add the broth and thyme to the pot. Bring the mixture to a boil. Add the tortellini to the pot and cook according to the package instructions.
- One minute before the tortellini is done, stir in the chicken breast and spinach and cook for one additional minute. Remove from heat, add lemon juice and lemon zest. Season with salt and pepper. Enjoy!
This recipe was originally published in December 2016. It was updated with new tips in January 2022.