Homemade guacamole is better than store-bought and is made in less than 10 minutes! This classic recipe is made with avocados, onions, tomatoes, lime juice and cilantro.
Fresh guacamole is better than anything you buy at the store. It’s packed with flavor and easy to make. For years I disliked guacamole because the only kind I tried was a packaged restaurant version. The flavor and texture was bad. Once I made fresh homemade guacamole, I loved it!
What is guacamole?
Guacamole is a delicious dip or spread that originated in Mexico. It’s made with avocados and a few other simple ingredients like onions, tomatoes, lime juice, salt and pepper. It’s used as a dip for tortilla chips or as a topping for tacos, nachos and more. Spread it over burgers or sandwiches too. Fresh homemade avocado guacamole is the best and tastes better than anything you can buy elsewhere.
How to make fresh homemade guacamole
Use ripe avocados. The avocados are ripe when they feel slightly soft when you press on them.
Slice three avocados in half, remove the pits and scoop the avocado flesh into a medium mixing bowl. Add chopped tomato, chopped onion and freshly chopped cilantro to the bowl with the avocado. Mash together with a fork and mix well. Add fresh lime juice, salt and pepper. Mix until combined.
You can also use an authentic Molcajete for mixing the guacamole. While mixing in a Molcajete isn’t necessary (a bowl and fork work fine), the granite mortar and pest are a fun addition to your kitchen and the bowl is great for serving.
How to keep guacamole from browning
- Squeeze a small amount of lime juice over the top of the guacamole.
- Cover the dish with plastic wrap, pushing the wrap down so that it is flush with the guacamole. This prevents any air pockets that will turn the avocado guacamole brown. You can also put the guacamole in a sealed container.
How long does guacamole last?
Fresh guacamole lasts for 1 to 2 days when stored in the refrigerator. Try to make your guacamole as fresh as possible to maintain the best texture, color and flavor.
Ideas for serving
Don’t hesitate to make this homemade guacamole. It’s fresh, flavorful and delicious. Add it to tacos, nachos and more.
Try it and let us know what you think!
Fresh Homemade Guacamole
- 3 Haas avocados , or 1-2 medium Florida avocados
- 1 small tomato, chopped
- ¼ cup sweet onion, finely chopped
- 1 tablespoon fresh cilantro, finely chopped
- ½ lime for juicing
- dash of ground black pepper
- dash of salt
- Slice avocados in half, remove pits, and scoop avocado flesh into medium mixing bowl. Add tomato, onion, and cilantro to bowl with avocado. Mash and mix well. Add lime juice, salt and pepper. Mix again and serve.
- Store the guacamole in a sealed container in the refrigerator for up to 2 days. Or store in a bowl covered with plastic wrap. Press the plastic wrap down so that it is flush with the bowl to prevent the guacamole from browning.
We’ve made this twice this week. Can’t get enough!
I can’t wait to try this! It looks fabulous! I love Haas avocados!