Healthy veggie burrito bowls are made with fresh veggies, beans, rice and your favorite toppings. A copycat of your favorite Chipotle burrito bowl, this bowl recipe is perfect for lunch of dinner. Best of all, make it in only 20 minutes!
Do you love Chipotle burrito bowls? Or are you craving something that you can make at home? We recreated our favorite Chipotle burrito bowl at home to share with you. Veggie burrito bowls are made with sautéed peppers and onions, cheese, lettuce, rice, guacamole and your other favorite burrito toppings. You can add grilled chicken or steak to create your own twist on this classic recipe.
Burrito bowl ingredients
- Bell peppers – We love grilled fajita peppers in burritos, but you can add any of your favorite grilled veggies.
- Red onions – You can use yellow onions if you prefer.
- Cooked white or brown rice. You can also use cauliflower rice.
- Romaine lettuce
- Black beans or pinto beans
- Fresh salsa – Make homemade salsa for the best texture and flavor.
- Guacamole – Homemade guacamole is the best so make sure to try our favorite guacamole recipe!
- Shredded cheese
- Sour cream
- Fresh cilantro
Burrito bowl recipe
This recipe comes together easily. In a large skillet, heat oil over medium-high heat. Add sliced peppers and onions. Season with oregano, salt and pepper.
Cook the onions for 5 to 6 minutes or until slightly softened but still crisp-tender. Remove from the heat and set aside.
Divide cooked rice and lettuce between four bowls. Top with cooked fajita veggies, beans, salsa, guacamole, cheese and sour cream. Season with salt and pepper, garnish with fresh cilantro and serve immediately.
You can prep this recipe in advance and enjoy it throughout the week for meal prep lunches or leftovers for dinner.
This recipe is perfect for any day of the week. It’s versatile and can be adapted to suite your taste. If you love this recipe, try a few of our other favorite recipes below!
Healthy burrito bowl recipes
- Spaghetti Squash Burrito Bowls – make this burrito inside spaghetti squash!
- Chorizo Vegan Burrito Bowls – packed with delicious veggies and a vegan chorizo.
- Chicken Burrito Bowls – a classic recipe made with chicken.
Veggie Burrito Bowl
- 2 tablespoons olive oil
- 1 green bell pepper, sliced
- 1/2 red onion, sliced
- 2 teaspoons dried oregano
- pinch salt, plus more to taste
- 1 cup cooked rice, (white or brown)
- 3 cups romaine lettuce, chopped
- 1 cup black beans, or pinto beans
- 1 cup salsa
- 1 cup guacamole
- 1/2 cup shredded cheese
- sour cream
- fresh cilantro
- In a large skillet, heat oil over medium-high heat until shimmering. Add peppers and onions, season with oregano, salt, and pepper.
- Cook 5-6 minutes until slightly softened but still tender-crisp. Remove from heat and set aside.
- Arrange equal parts of rice and lettuce in 4 bowls. Top with fajita veggies, beans, salsa, guacamole, cheese, and sour cream. Season with salt and pepper, garnish with cilantro, and serve immediately.
- Serve with sliced cooked chicken or ground beef, if desired.