This delicious Ground Beef Burrito Bowl comes together in less than 30 minutes! Enjoy it on busy weeknights or any time you’re craving burritos.
Everyone loves a good burrito bowl! These ground beef burrito bowls are made with perfectly seasoned taco beef, grilled peppers and onions and your favorite burrito bowl toppings.
Skip Chipotle and make these homemade burrito bowls. This dish is the perfect weeknight meal and works great for family gatherings. Kids and adults love it!
Why You’ll Love This Recipe
- This easy beef burrito bowl recipe is great for meal prep.
- It’s easy to adapt the ingredients to make your own combination of flavors.
- Make this meal in 30 minutes!
Ingredients You Need
You will need a few ingredients to make the cooked ground beef and sautéed peppers and onions. In addition, you will need your favorite burrito toppings.
For the Ground Beef, Peppers and Onions:
- Bell Peppers: Any type of bell peppers work well for this recipe.
- Red Onion: You can substitute with yellow or white onion, if needed.
- Ground Beef: Our preference is lean ground beef, but you can use any type of ground beef.
- Spices: You will need dried oregano, taco seasoning mix, salt and pepper.
- Extra Virgin Olive Oil: You can substitute with avocado oil.
Other Burrito Bowl Toppings:
- Romaine Lettuce
- Steamed Rice: Try this Instant Pot Brown Rice recipe. Or serve with cauliflower rice.
- Black Beans
- Shredded Cheddar Cheese
- Corn Salsa
- Tomato Salsa or Pico de Gallo
- Guacamole or Sliced Avocado
- Tortilla Chips or Tortilla Strips (optional)
- Sour cream, fresh cilantro, lime wedges (optional)
How to Make Beef Burrito Bowls
This meal comes together in one skillet. After cooking the beef and vegetables, layer the rice, black beans, cheese and more in a bowl.
- Saute peppers and onions – Heat the olive oil in a large skillet over medium-high heat until hot. Add peppers and onions and season with oregano, salt and pepper. Cook for 5 to 6 minutes until softened, but still crisp tender. Transfer to a bowl and set aside.
- Cook the ground beef – Add the ground beef to the skillet. Cook until browned, drain grease and sprinkle the taco seasoning on top. Add the water and stir, then simmer until the water is mostly absorbed. Remove from the heat. (If you want to save time, you can cook the ground beef in another skillet at the same time as the peppers and onions.)
- Assemble the bowls – Divide the lettuce evenly between 4 bowls. Add rice, beans, cooked peppers and onions, seasoned ground beef, cheese, pico de gallo, corn salsa and avocado. Top with sour cream and cilantro, if desired.
Serve with lime wedges for a fresh squeeze of lime juice.
Recipe Tips & Variations
- Use another type of meat: You can easily swap the seasoned ground beef with ground turkey, grilled chicken, cooked steak or pulled pork.
- Add spicy flavor: To kick the heat up a notch, mix in some red pepper flakes or chopped jalapeños.
- Serve in a taco bowl or with tortillas: Switch it up and serve this bowl in a tortilla bowl or use large tortillas to make burritos.
- Make ahead for meal prep: You can prepare the cooked ground beef in advance and store it in the refrigerator for up to 3 days. Prep and chop the other ingredients in advance and store in sealed containers in the fridge until ready to use. You can even assemble the whole bowl and store it in the refrigerator for lunch or dinner.
Store leftovers in an airtight container and place in the refrigerator for up to 3 days.
Other Dinner Bowl Recipes
- Banh Mi Rice Bowl
- Veggie Burrito Bowl
- Sweet Potato and Black Bean Quinoa Bowls
- Shrimp and Rice Bowls
Did you try this Ground Beef Burrito Bowl? Leave a recipe rating and review below.
Ground Beef Burrito Bowl
- 2 tablespoons extra virgin olive oil
- 1 green bell pepper, sliced
- 1/2 red onion, sliced
- 2 teaspoons dried oregano
- Pinch salt, plus more to taste
- Ground black pepper, to taste
- 1 pound ground beef
- 2 tablespoons taco seasoning mix
- 1/3 cup water
- 3 to 4 cups chopped romaine lettuce
- 1 1/2 cups steamed rice
- 1 cup black beans, rinsed and drained
- 1/2 cup shredded white cheddar cheese
- Corn salsa
- Tomato salsa or pico de gallo
- Guacamole, or sliced avocado
- Sour cream, cilantro, lime wedges, for serving (optional)
- In a large skillet, heat oil over medium-high heat until hot. Add peppers and onions, season with oregano, salt and pepper.
- Cook 5 to 6 minutes until slightly softened but still tender-crisp. Transfer to a bowl set aside.
- In the same skillet, add the ground beef. Cook until browned, drain excess grease, then sprinkle in the taco seasoning, stirring well. Add the water and stir, allowing it to simmer until the water is mostly absorbed. Remove from the heat.
- Divide the lettuce evenly between 4 bowls. To each bowl, add rice, beans, cooked peppers and onions, seasoned ground beef, cheese, pico de gallo, corn salsa and avocado. Top off with sour cream and cilantro, if desired and serve with lime wedges.