Learn how to cook brown rice in the instant pot with this simple brown rice recipe. Make a batch of brown rice to serve with lunch or dinner. Options for making brown rice on the stove or in a rice cooker are included in this post too!
Brown rice is a staple in our kitchen. It is the perfect side dish to serve with everything from stir fry and burritos to chicken or tacos. We love cooking brown rice in the Instant Pot because it requires only 5 minutes of prep work, cooks on its own (in the Instant Pot) and is easy to clean up. It’s versatile and tastes great with a variety of meals. Best of all, meal prep brown rice to save time during the week and make dinner time easy.
Instant pot brown rice recipe
Learn how to make instant pot brown rice with full details, notes and questions below.
How to cook brown rice
Brown rice is a versatile and simple side dish. Cook it in the Instant Pot for a no hassle meal. You can also cook brown rice on the stove or the rice cooker. No matter how you cook it, make sure to rinse and drain it before cooking. This helps prevent the rice from sticking.
How to cook brown rice in the instant pot
Rinse and drain two cups uncooked long grain rice. Add the rice to an instant pot or pressure cooker. Add a dash or two of kosher salt and then stir in 2 1/2 cups water or broth. Seal the lid and valve and cook on Manual high pressure for 15 minutes. After the cook time is up, natural release for 5 minutes. Then carefully release the valve and allow the remaining pressure to vent. Press the cancel button.
Remove the lid on the pressure cooker and fluff the rice with a fork before serving. Allow the rice to rest for an additional 5 to 10 minutes if it seems moist. It will dry a bit when exposed to outside air.
Brown rice on the stove
To cook brown rice on the stove, boil 2 1/4 cup of water for every 1 cup of brown rice. Once the water boils, add brown rice, cover and simmer. Simmer for 45 minutes without opening the pot. Then turn off the heat and let sit for another 45 minutes. Fluff with a fork and serve.
Brown rice in the rice cooker
Rinse and drain 2 cups rice. Put it in the rice cooker with water up to the “3 cup” mark (about 3 cups water). Add dash or two of salt and turn the rice cooker on. Follow the instructions for your rice cooker for most accurate details.
Brown rice in the slow cooker
Spray the inside of your slow cooker with non-stick spray or run with butter. Add 2 cups of rinses and drained brown rice, 3 1/3 cups water or broth and 1 tablespoon olive oil. Stir to combine and cook on high until the rice is fluffy, about 2 to 4 hours.
Do you need to rinse brown rise?
Yes, rinse the brown rice at least once before cooking to remove any remaining starch that causes rice to clump together as it cooks.
What is the ratio of water to rice?
To cook rice, the water to rice ratio must be exact. To cook rice in the instant pot, use 2 1/2 cups of water for every 2 cups of brown rice. The water to rice ratio for white rice is 2 cups water for every 2 cups rice.
What to eat with cooked brown rice
- Garlic Sesame Chicken Stir Fry
- Chipotle Lime Chicken Taco Bowl
- Chicken Burrito Bowls
- Skillet Enchilada Chicken with Black Beans and Corn
Try instant pot brown rice recipe for dinner and then let us know what you think! If you love using your Instant Pot, try a few of our other instant pot recipes.
Instant Pot Brown Rice
- 2 cups uncooked long grain brown rice, rinsed and drained
- 2 1/2 cups water or broth, (chicken or vegetable broth)
- kosher salt, to taste
- Add dry rice to Instant Pot or pressure cooker. Sprinkle in kosher salt to taste, then stir in water or broth to combine. Seal the lid and valve and cook 15 minutes on Manual High pressure.
- When cook time is up, allow the pressure to release naturally for 5 minutes, then carefully release the valve and allow the remaining pressure to vent. Press the Cancel button.
- Remove the lid to the Instant Pot and fluff the rice with a fork before serving. Allow the rice to rest if it seems moist - it will dry a bit when exposed to outside air.
- Store leftovers in the refrigerator for up to a week or freeze for up to 3 months.
- Use a strainer to rinse and drain rice.
- Cook brown rice in advance and store in a sealed container in the refrigerator for up to one week.
- You can freeze brown rice for up to 3 months.
Kitchen tools needed for Instant Pot brown rice
- An instant pot, of course! We have the
- The only other tool you need is a wooden spoon.
- And don’t forget cute bowls for serving!
This post contains affiliate links.